RADIUS support for users

Barry Staes

I'm interested in centrally managing users, to be used as authorization for:

- Unraid shares

- Shares on other devices (NAS)

- Wifi access

- Other devices that support it (e.g. printer, switch)

- Other applications that support it (e.g. VPN, proxy, Asterix)

And i quickly ended up with RADIUS, but a quick search points out that Unraid does not support that.

Now at first i imagined its perfectly possible to use something like FreeRadius in a Docker.. but then i realized that Unraid shouldn't have to wait until that is started.

Perhaps you prefer to make Unraid the RADIUS server, but that again might require a lot more work.

I'd like to hear the view on this from the devs and other users like me.

Disclaimer: i am no expert on RADIUS, i dont even use it yet. I'm not very familiar or particularly interested in using MS ActiveDirectory at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear the view on this from the devs and other users like me.

I'd be interested in using RADIUS for wifi authentication and possibly VPN.  Would be very nice if unRAID shares could authenticate with it as well.

Now at first i imagined its perfectly possible to use something like FreeRadius in a Docker.. but then i realized that Unraid shouldn't have to wait until that is started.

Perhaps you prefer to make Unraid the RADIUS server, but that again might require a lot more work.

A docker should be perfectly fine for this.  I wouldn't want to bog down the main OS with a FreeRadius server.

Disclaimer: i am no expert on RADIUS, i dont even use it yet. I'm not very familiar or particularly interested in using MS ActiveDirectory at home.

same here :)

Archived