Automount USB HDD to path including unique serial number

NAS

I am looking for any assistance anyone has to customise unRAID so that I can automount a USB HDD to path including a unique serial number such as the HDD  serial number unRAID uses.

The driver for this is cataloging media in applications such as XBMC.

So the end game would be you insert a USB HDD and it would should up in SAMBA like:

//TOWER/ata-WDC_WD10EACS-00ZJB0_WD-WCASJ2001234/

as the base folder.

This is useful as I can add this share as a base path for media scanning. When the disk is removed the content will obviously not be playable but it will still be indexed. In this way I can catalog as many disks as i like to my library without having the expense of purchaing hardware to keep the disks online 24*7.

Obviously data would not be protected but it would allow the use of HDD in a manner similar to just popping in a DVD to play a movie.

Opinions... viability?

It's feasible to do with the automount program, but that requires you to know the path.

It may also be feasible with periodic scans in the dev directory, which would build the samba shares configuration file.

There might be another way around it with automount and an extra program that automount calls. Something like the /net nfs mount point handling.

It's worked for me for a long time. It's how I mount my external USB enclosures.

What external USB enclosure do you use? I was using one of these in my Windows machine. I just got a few extra trays and HDDs for backing up my machine (worked well). This system won't work with my new unraid case and CM cages. I was gifted a VANTEC NexStar NST-D100SU that may fit my needs, but haven't tried it yet.

It's worked for me for a long time. It's how I mount my external USB enclosures.

What external USB enclosure do you use? I was using one of these in my Windows machine. I just got a few extra trays and HDDs for backing up my machine (worked well). This system won't work with my new unraid case and CM cages. I was gifted a VANTEC NexStar NST-D100SU that may fit my needs, but haven't tried it yet.

I picked up one of these. I love it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215055

With the internal trayless SATA mounts and one of these I can move drives between my systems with ease.

Archived