We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Windows 7 x64 install

opentoe

I'm currently running a couple Window 7 VM's already and they installed fairly easily. All the VM's were created with I believe two or three releases back of unraid. When trying to create a new VM everything goes as planned but for some reason cannot load the virtual IO disk controller drivers. I've used my original STABLE VirtIO drivers I had and two other versions I found online and they wouldn't work either. I have plenty of space, rebooted the server, tried different machine model and other little things. I must be missing something real obvious. I've also tried selecting different drivers in the multiple folders in the VirtIO ISO file. Any suggestions?

vminstall.png.11fad3a975cfd5ca103b9f172a73a621.png

IIRC, unless your installation media for W7 does not include SP1, the virt drivers won't install during setup.  Been forever since I've done this though.  Have you tried the latest unstable versions?

Yep, already has SP1 included. It is an OEM DVD that I got from Technet when that was around. I have three versions of the VirtIO files.

I would usually breeze right through this part but it was all with unraid 6.0 I think. I'll keep tinkering.

Resolved.

I don't know what happened but before I started the VM I went back to the webUI to edit the template to add more memory and add a couple more CPU cores. I did notice that the SIZE of the VM was blank, but I filled that out a few minutes ago when I was initially creating the VM and clicked on the button CREATE VM. So I just left the SIZE field blank, thinking it was already created. So I eventually went back to the edit template area and filled in the SIZE again and clicked UPDATE. Started the VM and was able to easily find the appropriate drivers like normal. I'll try to replicate the issue after this one is finished installing.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Used the wrong Windows ISO file, so I just wiped out the old VM and created a new one. Made sure it created the virtual disk, which it did. Added some CPU cores, increased memory, virtio drivers, Windows ISO x64, created and started VM. Strangely I'm back to where I was before. Can't find the virtual disk controller, even downloaded the latest virtio drivers to try. Back to more tinkering.

Archived