SeaSonic X Series X-850 $84.99 (With Promo Code & After MIR)

Drider

My current unRaid box has a EVGA Supernova 650 G2 which is a 80 Gold Plus PSU. Will this be good enough for running the (2) E5-2670 procs plus 16 hard drives and 9 fans? Not sure if the Intel S2600CP board has on board video so might have to place discrete video card. Nothing fancy and no need for extra power for the video card but eventually I might consider adding one to check the feasibility of gaming via VM.

Anyways here are the PSU's I would consider purchasing as a replacement if the one I have already is up to par...

This is the model you recommended Drider but I thought I might need the 1K watt model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=EXPRESS030516&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS030516-_-EMC-030516-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151102-S2A1A $169.99

Here's another that is basically the same although it's White (matches my case) and is Platinum.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151145 $219.99

My current unRaid box has a EVGA Supernova 650 G2 which is a 80 Gold Plus PSU. Will this be good enough for running the (2) E5-2670 procs plus 16 hard drives and 9 fans? Not sure if the Intel S2600CP board has on board video so might have to place discrete video card. Nothing fancy and no need for extra power for the video card but eventually I might consider adding one to check the feasibility of gaming via VM.

Anyways here are the PSU's I would consider purchasing as a replacement if the one I have already is up to par...

This is the model you recommended Drider but I thought I might need the 1K watt model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=EXPRESS030516&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS030516-_-EMC-030516-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151102-S2A1A $169.99

Here's another that is basically the same although it's White (matches my case) and is Platinum.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151145 $219.99

The stock server that the S2600CP comes with, its only a 550 watt power supply.  I have never seen a s2600cp setup suck more than 400 watts from the wall.  Your only requirement is you need 2 EPS 12V (8 pin) mobo connectors.  Adapters only have a 50/50 chance of working since they are normally just a 4pin(2 wire) molex to 8 pin (2 sets of 4) adapter and there is too much voltage droop.

eventually I might consider adding one to check the feasibility of gaming via VM.

I have to give the political answer, as I don't want to give bad advice, and I don't know the specifics of your setup as far as power draw.  The safest thing for you to do is look at all the power specifications for each component in your system add them up, and for safety add 20% for power requirement.

The toughest thing is this statement you made above.  You first said a stand alone GPU but nothing that would require additional power, but then follow up with the statement quoted, which leads me to believe you may want to add a GPU requiring supplemental power in the future.  If I read that correctly, and it is indeed the case, then yes I would be looking at a little more power.

I can tell you the Seasonic X-850 will handle both scenarios easily.

I will tell you when I was running my old server with 13 Disks, 1 Cache SSD, 1 AMD 6400K, & 1 SASLP-MV8.  It was all on a Corsair CX750.  I eventually started getting strange things happening.  I would boot up, but always be missing a random disk from my array.  I was also getting the same 5 Parity Check errors every month.

As soon as I replaced the PSU with the Quality Seasonic X-850 I have now, all those issues went away.

Though I could have set the HDD's to spin up staggered, to compensate the disk not being found, but I didn't want to risk what happened when all disks spun up together for a parity check.

I'm not saying you need more, but if you plan on expanding at all in the future, when not spend a little more to have the ability?

I went ahead and purchased the 850W Seasonic. If it doesn't work out then I'll return it or swap it with the Corsair AXi1200i I have in my gaming rig until I get a replacement.

Got my Intel mobo today as well as the two procs, memory, io shield. Still waiting for the Noctua's and the SAS card so I can get everything swapped over from my current i5 rig. Everything should fit very nice and cool in my Nanoxia Deep Silence 6. I'm hoping with the Noctua's that it remains silent. Right now it is running 8 fans and will be 10 when the Noctua's installed. I know I have plenty of cooling so keeping the processors and drives cool will not be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking to upgrade my current MB/CPU/RAM to the Intel S2600CP with dual E5-2670's and 64GB of ram.  I've also got an older Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU in my current setup.  While researching if my power supply would be adequate for the Intel board I stumbled upon this thread.  It looks like the major difference between my current PSU and the SeaSonic is the 8 pin EPS 12V connector.  I was wondering if anyone knew if a molex adapter would suffice in this case or if I need to change out the PSU as well?  Thanks.

Personally,  and this is just my opinion with what I'll put in my system, I would never use an adapter for something like the 8PIN EPS.  I mean you're going to go through all the trouble to build a beast of a system, at a fraction of the price.  Why temp fate by having it destroyed in the blink of an eye, by a PSU not really rated or made for the load?

Personally I put as much money possible into the PSU on any system I build, and in reality Quality PSU's now of days are quite cheap.

I could understand a 4pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter, but not something system critical like the CPU.

Again, just my $0.02

Personally,  and this is just my opinion with what I'll put in my system, I would never use an adapter for something like the 8PIN EPS.  I mean you're going to go through all the trouble to build a beast of a system, at a fraction of the price.  Why temp fate by having it destroyed in the blink of an eye, by a PSU not really rated or made for the load?

Personally I put as much money possible into the PSU on any system I build, and in reality Quality PSU's now of days are quite cheap.

I could understand a 4pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter, but not something system critical like the CPU.

Again, just my $0.02

Thanks, good point. Amazon WH has these for $98 with Prime.

I just wanted to confirm that for the Intel S2600CP MB a 4+4 pin EPS 12V connector will work the same as the 8 pin connector?  I assume so since that's what the Seasonic uses but thought I better confirm before ordering.  I guess I have the same question on the Main connector (20+4pin vs 24pin that's required)?  Thanks.

For example, would both of these work for the S2600CP:

Seasonic X Series X-850 Connectors:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin, 600mm)

1 x 4+4 Pin EPS 12V (650mm)

1 x 8 Pin EPS 12V (650mm)

8 x Peripheral

8 x SATA

2 x Floppy

4 x PCI-E (600mm)

EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W ECO Connectors:

1 x 24-Pin ATX

2 x 4 + 4-Pin EPS12V

4 x 6 + 2 -Pin PCI-E

2 x 6-Pin PCI-E

10 x SATA

4 x Molex

1 x Floppy

I just wanted to confirm that for the Intel S2600CP MB a 4+4 pin EPS 12V connector will work the same as the 8 pin connector?  I assume so since that's what the Seasonic uses but thought I better confirm before ordering.  I guess I have the same question on the Main connector (20+4pin vs 24pin that's required)?  Thanks.

For example, would both of these work for the S2600CP:

Seasonic X Series X-850 Connectors:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin, 600mm)

1 x 4+4 Pin EPS 12V (650mm)

1 x 8 Pin EPS 12V (650mm)

8 x Peripheral

8 x SATA

2 x Floppy

4 x PCI-E (600mm)

EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W ECO Connectors:

1 x 24-Pin ATX

2 x 4 + 4-Pin EPS12V

4 x 6 + 2 -Pin PCI-E

2 x 6-Pin PCI-E

10 x SATA

4 x Molex

1 x Floppy

Both options will work.  Yes 4+4 is the same as a 8, is just has a snap in the center so you can put it into other 4pin p4 mobos.  Same deal with the 24pin, the last 4pins snap off if needed.  Personally id pic the one that turns off the fan at idle if its an option.  Seasonic vs evga is a tough call, both are better than corsair.

Both options will work.  Yes 4+4 is the same as a 8, is just has a snap in the center so you can put it into other 4pin p4 mobos.  Same deal with the 24pin, the last 4pins snap off if needed.  Personally id pic the one that turns off the fan at idle if its an option.  Seasonic vs evga is a tough call, both are better than corsair.

Thanks for the response.  It looks like both options have their own "ECO" mode which results in fanless operation at no load.  The evga is cheaper and comes with a 10yr warranty but everything I read says go with Seasonic if possible.  I wish I wouldn't have missed this deal!  The Amazon WH deal for $98 is fuzzy on the warranty.  At this point, it's not really about the $ and as Drider rightfully points out, why take a chance by not getting the best PSU possible.

EDIT:  I went with an EVGA Platinum 850 (220-P2-0850-X1) from NCIXUS.  $20 rebate and $10 coupon code brings the final price to $100 with free ground shipping and no tax.