preclear.sh

starcat

Thanks guys, will investigate the addons. The files can be nicely downloaded directly on the unRAID box in /boot/packages as there is wget installaed by default.

In the meantime I have switched from smb to nfs mouting (the clients directly on unRAID) and got a performance boost from 27MB/s to about 70MB/s. Not bad at all!

PS: will a serial based APC UPS like the SmartUPS 700 or 1000 work with the apcupsd package?

Yes... you might need to edit the .conf file to specify the serial port (a line for it is there, but currently commented out)
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got everything working!

Joe, there seems to be an error locating the ntfs-3g package from within the latest unmenu 1.2. The location seems to miss the file or the loation is wrong. Attached a pic.

You are right... what was "slackware-current" is no longer "current"

I did a search for the .tgz file and found this link:

http://ftp.xcp.kiev.ua/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/a/ntfs-3g-2009.3.8-i486-1.tgz

See if you can download it to the packages folder on your server, then if the checksum matches, everything else should work.

Joe L.

For example, the contents of /boot/packages/ssmtp-2.61-i486-1suk.tgz.auto_install is:

root@Tower:/boot/custom/bin# cat /boot/packages/ssmtp-2.61-i486-1suk.tgz.auto_install

installpkg ssmtp-2.61-i486-1suk.tgz

installpkg mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

ln -s /usr/sbin/ssmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail

cp /boot/custom/ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

I have found the mailx package but could't locate anywhere the ssmtp package.. Joe, could you please post a download link if you have one handy? Thanks much!

Edit:

Found the ssmtp package here: http://slackware.sukkology.net/packages/ssmtp/ssmtp-2.61-i486-1suk.tgz

Could you provide what is in the /boot/custom/ssmtp.conf file or is it simply derived from /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf?

Could you provide what is in the /boot/custom/ssmtp.conf file or is it simply derived from /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf?

Mine looks like this:

root@Tower:/boot/custom# cat ssmtp.conf

#

# /etc/ssmtp.conf -- a config file for sSMTP sendmail.

#

# The person who gets all mail for userids < 1000

# Make this empty to disable rewriting.

[email protected]

# The place where the mail goes. The actual machine name is required

# no MX records are consulted. Commonly mailhosts are named mail.domain.com

# The example will fit if you are in domain.com and you mailhub is so named.

mailhub=smtp-server.somewhere.rr.com

# Where will the mail seem to come from?

#rewriteDomain=

# The full hostname

[email protected]

You may need additional lines in it if your e-mail host requires ID/PASSWORD authentication

Many config examples for ssmtp exist if you do a google search.

several I found are here

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=440

http://www.scottro.net/qnd/qnd-ssmtp.html

http://www.zdnetasia.com/techguide/printfriendly.htm?AT=62041486

An example if you have a gmail account, to use g-mail's mailhub server, is here:

http://danaville.com/open-source/ssmtp-vs-sendmail/

Oh yes.. the most current release of ntfs-3g is just a week old (November 11th, 2009).  I've not even tried to find a pre-compiled slackware package for it yet.  Your slightly older version will do fine for reading NTFS formatted disks, the improvements seem to be mostly around access-control-lists and extended permissions.

Joe L.

Joe, thank you very much once again! Thanks for the gmail link example link too.

Regarding preclear script again: is calling preclear with "-n" the same what unRAID will do when new disks are added to the array? Also, for already used and burned-in disks, is there any need to do the whole pre-read/write/post-read process, or is a write with priclear -n just right?

Joe, thank you very much once again! Thanks for the gmail link example link too.

Regarding preclear script again: is calling preclear with "-n" the same what unRAID will do when new disks are added to the array?

Basically, yes.

Also, for already used and burned-in disks, is there any need to do the whole pre-read/write/post-read process, or is a write with preclear -n just right?

If they've been cleared by unRAID and then put into use they've never been fully read until a full parity check is performed.  If they've been through that process, and have been part of the array when a recent parity check was performed, then you can probably skip the pre-read/post-read steps if you are short of time. 

If it has been a while, or if you are not tight on time, I'd do it anyway since the pre/post read processes specifically move the disk heads between the cylinders a LOT more than any normal usage.  This would "shake" out any potential drives with physical errors that have developed since you first cleared them.

If your disks have been behaving in your server and used as part of a recent parity check, you can use the "-n" option... it is there for exactly that reason.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe, sorry to dig up this old thread, I just configured ssmtp for gmail and got the following error. Do you have a clue?

Dec 12 22:09:52 startank sSMTP[6288]: Unable to set UseSTARTTLS="YES"

Dec 12 22:09:52 startank sSMTP[6288]: Unable to set UseTLS="YES"

Dec 12 22:09:52 startank kernel: sendmail[6288]: segfault at 0 ip b77e4489 sp bf9d3a30 error 4 in libc-2.7.so[b7771000+146000]

I just upgraded to unRAID 4.5 (non-beta) and am using:

ssmtp-2.61-i486-1suk.tgz

mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

Thanks!

Joe, sorry to dig up this old thread, I just configured ssmtp for gmail and got the following error. Do you have a clue?

Dec 12 22:09:52 startank sSMTP[6288]: Unable to set UseSTARTTLS="YES"

Dec 12 22:09:52 startank sSMTP[6288]: Unable to set UseTLS="YES"

Dec 12 22:09:52 startank kernel: sendmail[6288]: segfault at 0 ip b77e4489 sp bf9d3a30 error 4 in libc-2.7.so[b7771000+146000]

I just upgraded to unRAID 4.5 (non-beta) and am using:

ssmtp-2.61-i486-1suk.tgz

mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

Thanks!

Your configuration file is defined wrong... 

Here is a similar post from a different user with a similar crash of ssmtp

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7504

In their case rewriteDomain should have only contained the domain name, without the username part.

Your issue is probably similar.  I don't send my outgoing mail through gmail, so my setup is simpler.

Joe L.

For anyone interested, I have read here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2470.0

that an additional package http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/utilities/socat/1.7.0.0/socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz have to be installed in order mail to work with secure smtp servers like gmail.com.

True, if you are using the shell version of mail used in unraid_notify. It will not help here if you are trying to configure ssmtp.conf

ssmtp is a much more complete and true mail transport agent.  It already knows how to deal with secure connections to smtp servers.  It needs to be installed with mailx, a complete mail program.

Joe L.

Hmm... both of them do not work for me. Still having problems with the authentication. Double and tripplechecked everything. Tried also unraid_notify and mail withouth luck.

Make certain when you edit the config files you use a UNIX editor that does not add MS-Dos style carriage-returns on the ends of lines.

Joe L.

For mail from unraid_notify to work, I have the socat package installed. I have configured everything according to http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2470.0 but when I start "unraid_notify -d", i.e. with the debug option, I get:

2009/12/22 13:49:21 socat[31834] E SSL_connect(): error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

The ssmtp/mailx stuff is installed according to the description Joe L. provieded couple of pages back. I get the following in the log:

Dec 22 13:53:02 startank sSMTP[3212]: Unable to set UseSTARTTLS="YES"

Dec 22 13:53:02 startank sSMTP[3212]: Unable to set UseTLS="YES"

Dec 22 13:53:02 startank kernel: sendmail[3212]: segfault at 0 ip b7693489 sp bfccb460 error 4 in libc-2.7.so[b7620000+146000]

All configs are ok, I use vi to edit config files, no DOS editors at all.

I use the following packages and following auto_install files:

for socat/mail/unraid_notify:

installpkg socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz

installpkg unraid_notify-2.53-noarch-unRAID.tgz

echo "[email protected]" > /root/.forward

unraid_notify start

for mailx/ssmtp:

chmod 640 /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

I have the socat package for mail from unraid_notify to work. I have done everything according to http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2470.0 but when I start "unraid_notify -d", i.e. with the debug option, I get:

2009/12/22 13:49:21 socat[31834] E SSL_connect(): error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

That is the basic error.  The protocol you are attempting to use is not valid for your mail server.

The ssmtp is installed according to the description Joe provieded couple of pages back. Here I get the following in the log:

Dec 22 13:53:02 startank sSMTP[3212]: Unable to set UseSTARTTLS="YES"

Dec 22 13:53:02 startank sSMTP[3212]: Unable to set UseTLS="YES"

Dec 22 13:53:02 startank kernel: sendmail[3212]: segfault at 0 ip b7693489 sp bfccb460 error 4 in libc-2.7.so[b7620000+146000]

Although the seg-fault is caused by a programing bug, it might be because the protocol is being rejected.

All configs are ok, I use vi to edit config files, no DOS editors at all.

My kind of guy...

I use the following packages and following auto_install files:

for socat/mail/unraid_notify:

installpkg socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz

installpkg unraid_notify-2.53-noarch-unRAID.tgz

echo "[email protected]" > /root/.forward

unraid_notify start

for mailx/ssmtp:

chmod 640 /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

Have you tried to discover the protocols supported by your mail host?

Joe L.

I use SSL with smtp.gmail.com (supported on ports 25, 465, 587) and have basically the same config within my Apple Mail client which works very well with this server and those settings.

I tried all ports with smtp.gmail.com ...

If I comment out both UseTLS and UseStartTLS from the ssmtp config, then I am not getting the crash, but alsomails aren't delivered.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived