SERIOUSLY! PLEX, hosted on unRAID...is driving me #%&* NUTZ!!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip is here. Anyone willing to help; or should I get out of this topic, and post elsewhere?

For the record...I'm probably going to end up, back here; when I need to tweak PLEX again...after a suitable chip is in place, lol.

What was the question? Help with what? I thought you were sorted now.

Chip is here. Anyone willing to help; or should I get out of this topic, and post elsewhere?

For the record...I'm probably going to end up, back here; when I need to tweak PLEX again...after a suitable chip is in place, lol.

What was the question? Help with what? I thought you were sorted now.

Anticipating delivery, around the end of this week; I assume changing chips (first time)...isn't as easy as shutting down the server, swapping them out...and turning it back on.  :P

Will I need to make a BIOS change? There seem to be an indication earlier...that I'd need a new heatsink.

I see this http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-Heatsink-CPU-Cooling-Fan-for-1035T-1045T-1055T-1065T-1075T-New-/400827872070?hash=item5d5333f346:g:vMEAAOSw~bFWLcSv

...and I see this http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1045T-2-7-GHz-Six-Core-HDT45TWFK6DGR-CPU-Processor-AM3-/401113968680?hash=item5d64417028:g:A1kAAOSwKfVXJP~Z (which if it turned out, I could get the heatsink and chip...sell the chip, for say $50 ((I paid $65))...and have it come out, to less than $43 net, for the 1st heatsink)

...is that going to be an absolute necessity? I'm almost a little worried...about it fitting, in my 2U case

Since I don't know what version of the BIOS you're currently using I have no idea if you need to upgrade it.

Since the dimensions of the heatsink are clearly given in one of the photos in the first link it would be a simple thing to measure the headroom in your case before committing to a purchase.

If your current heatsink is the stock one that came with your current processor then it's unlikely to be adequate. If it's an aftermarket one then it might be.

Since I don't know what version of the BIOS you're currently using I have no idea if you need to upgrade it.

Since the dimensions of the heatsink are clearly given in one of the photos in the first link it would be a simple thing to measure the headroom in your case before committing to a purchase.

If your current heatsink is the stock one that came with your current processor then it's unlikely to be adequate. If it's an aftermarket one then it might be.

OK; sorry. Let me try and do some reconnaissance.  ;)

Right, so now you'll be able to answer some of your own questions regarding the need for a more effective heatsink, for any BIOS upgrade and how you will address this issue:

Also, note these Phenoms DO NOT have built in graphics capability.  You will have to add a video card or run headless.

Leave your old CPU in place until they are all resolved.

EDIT: Having quoted someone else I thought I'd better check the facts for myself. It is correct to say that those Phenom IIs don't have built in graphics capability. However, it's also true to say that your existing Athlon II doesn't either. There are some Athlon II APUs that include an on-die Radeon GPU but they do not use Socket AM3. In fact, the Socket AM3 Athlon II is based on the Phenom II and many of them were harvested from partially working or intentionally crippled Phenom II dies. So I checked your motherboard spec, which says that it has onboard graphics integrated into the 790GX North Bridge. So to correct the quote, you will not have to add a video card or run headless. Apologies - I ought to have checked for myself before quoting someone else.

Also, to confirm, you will need BIOS version F4J. Your current processor has been supported since version F1 so it's quite possible that you will need an update. And, since your existing heatsink is the stock one that came with your Athlon II you'll need a more effective one for the Phenom II.

OK; sorry. Let me try and do some reconnaissance.  ;)

OK, well...I guess that went, about as predicted.

Looks to me...my BIOS v is 3.10.21. Looking at the GB site, for my board http://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudio-aims-to-top-legend-new-contour-speakers?utm_content=buffer30d7e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

the BIOS options, look like this  ???  :o  ???  :-\

UPDATE - OK; looks like, I need BIOS F4J, for this chip...yes?

bios1.png.b16087f62aa49b15800cb3b6a65c67aa.png

bios2.png.b5abd92a8440f6275cd2d9ac612d4a4a.png

Looks to me...my BIOS v is 3.10.21. Looking at the GB site, for my board http://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudio-aims-to-top-legend-new-contour-speakers?utm_content=buffer30d7e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Your current BIOS with be one of the following:

F1, F2, F3 or F4J. There is no version 3.10.21

Yes, of course I have concerns about a beta BIOS. You don't have any choice though. Download it and unzip it to a FAT32 formatted USB stick - just like your unRAID one, but obviously a different one. Then go to http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html and download, print and read the PDF instructions for Q-Flash. Your motherboard supports Q-Flash so you won't have to mess about making a bootable DOS device.

Yes, of course I have concerns about a beta BIOS. You don't have any choice though. Download it and unzip it to a FAT32 formatted USB stick - just like your unRAID one, but obviously a different one. Then go to http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html and download, print and read the PDF instructions for Q-Flash. Your motherboard supports Q-Flash so you won't have to mess about making a bootable DOS device.

Thanks!

And last question...you know, for now  ;)  :-[  :-\

Can I make the chip-swap...in the short-term, without a new heatsink; or jump on that, and don't fire-up without it?

So which BIOS are you running at the moment? That What Hifi? link is completely irrelevant. You need to look at the screen when it starts up. Don't feel too bad about the beta nature of F4J. Perhaps it turned out to be so reliable they didn't feel the need to update it.

Your current BIOS with be one of the following:

F1, F2, F3 or F4J. There is no version 3.10.21

I can't find anything...to indicate F1, 2, 3, or F4J.

I'm happy to take suggestions; but unless it's already F4J...which I highly doubt. Does it really matter??

That's correct. Unless it is already F4J it doesn't matter. However, flashing the BIOS is not without risk and Gigabyte themselves warn against doing it unnecessarily. So if it doesn't need updating there's no point in flashing it.

That said, if you can't find out which version you currently have just go ahead and do it. I suggest you go through all the settings and write them down before you do it. Afterwards you'll end up with all the settings reset to the defaults so you'll need to go through them and change them back so that you can boot from your USB stick, for example.