SERIOUSLY! PLEX, hosted on unRAID...is driving me #%&* NUTZ!!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope things are progressing fine.

I just realized you're running with 10 Gigs, 2 1Gigs and 2 4 Gigs. I dont think I've ever seen that mix, but it certainly seems stable!

Yeah, no. When I put it in my sig; it felt weird. I don't think I've ever seen 10 either, lol.

But you have to remember; before...my server, was just a big, dumb, box o files. I built it...as it turns out, 6 years ago now...to run on the "bare minimum".

So...2G got the job done; and there's no getting around math. 2 + 8, makes 10  ;)

Looking good, so far. The CPU is recognised and working and the memory is now running at its rated speed, rather than being underclocked, as it was with the Athlon. Temperature looks good, so the cooler is working.

Thank you for mentioning that John!

I hadn't unboxed my heatsink/fan, until today. After running all that memtest, and carefully putting in the chip; I had a moment of panic.

I didn't buy any thermal paste, because the ad said the heatsink came with it "pre-applied to the base". When I opened things up...there was something there; but it wasn't like, what I was used to seeing. Sloppy, goopy, white paste. This was more like, a thin, "silicon" kinda layer.

I went with it...but one of the things I was going to ask you guys about; is would it be a good idea, long-term...to buy a tube, and go back and goop it up real good, lol.

Or are pastes different now...and if I watch my temperatures, and there's not an issue; don't bother?

Actually it's still underclocked, just less so, not that it's going to make a lot of difference for unRAID, but it was running @ 1066, now @ almost 1333, dimms are 1600Mhz

You're right, of course. I saw the 1280MHz in the later screenshot and associated it with the 12800 in the part numbers in the earlier screenshot.

I didn't buy any thermal paste, because the ad said the heatsink came with it "pre-applied to the base". When I opened things up...there was something there; but it wasn't like, what I was used to seeing. Sloppy, goopy, white paste. This was more like, a thin, "silicon" kinda layer.

I went with it...but one of the things I was going to ask you guys about; is would it be a good idea, long-term...to buy a tube, and go back and goop it up real good, lol.

Or are pastes different now...and if I watch my temperatures, and there's not an issue; don't bother?

Intel / AMD factory pre-applied thermal paste really looks like a small piece of grey rubber tape.

If it looked like this then you're fine:

pad.jpg

No, don't go adding any more thermal paste. The stock cooler, which I believe you have, comes with a thin square film of grey already applied and that's sufficient for the job. When applying it yourself there's a great temptation to overdo it. Just check that temperature again when it's been running for a while and again at the end of the test.

Actually it's still underclocked, just less so, not that it's going to make a lot of difference for unRAID, but it was running @ 1066, now @ almost 1333, dimms are 1600Mhz

Would it make a difference, for the PLEX Docker?

Never used plex but I guess it wouldn't make much difference,  maybe 2 or 3% at best.

Cool. Well...now that our little diversion has been resolved  ;)

The thread is supposed to be about hosting PLEX. Let me see how it goes...but I think we've done everything we can, on the unRAID side.

If I still experience problems; I'll post...but you can let me know if it's a PLEX and/or FireTV issue.

Did I say thanks enough already? Can't be so. Thanks again!