Folder Permissions Error

wgstarks

I recently had a hardware failure. Now I have one folder that I no longer have permission to access. Not sure if the two problems are related or if it even matters, could be a complete coincidence that they happened at the same time. My problem is that I have no idea how to correct permissions on this folder? They should be set so that everyone has full access.

I recently had a hardware failure. Now I have one folder that I no longer have permission to access. Not sure if the two problems are related or if it even matters, could be a complete coincidence that they happened at the same time. My problem is that I have no idea how to correct permissions on this folder? They should be set so that everyone has full access.

Permissions can be corrected by running Tools->New Permissions from the GUI or by the command

newperms <path>

from a telnet/console/ssh session.  If the optional <path> parameter is omitted then it does all disks like the GUI.

How would I know which drive to repair? Both posts seem to relate to drive permissions. I have pulled and trashed the failed drive, so should I repair the drive that I transferred the data to?

you could check via the web GU'i which disk(s) the folder resides on and focus attention on those.

How would I know which drive to repair? Both posts seem to relate to drive permissions. I have pulled and trashed the failed drive, so should I repair the drive that I transferred the data to?

you could check via the web GU'i which disk(s) the folder resides on and focus attention on those.

Thanks. I thought about that right after I posted. Don't usually access through the disk shares. Looks like it is a result of the failed disk. The only disk with restricted access is the one that I cp'd all the data to.

Thanks. I thought about that right after I posted. Don't usually access through the disk shares. Looks like it is a result of the failed disk. The only disk with restricted access is the one that I cp'd all the data to.

if you run the 'newperms' command from the CLI then you can specify the path either to the specific disk or to a specific user share. 

Having said that you might be better of first putting the array into Maintenance mode and running a file system check against the drive as the 'newperms' command cannot correct permissions if there is file system corruption.

Would it be possible to just delete the offending folder from the command line or gui file browser? There's nothing in it that I really care about but it's blocking access to all my music.

if you cannot fix the permissions then I doubt it can be deleted.    Have you run a file systems check against that disk as suggested earlier?

No. I see in the GUI how to do maintenance mode. Haven't found anything for checking the file system though. Wish I had never copied them from the bad disk.

when in Maintenance mode click on the disk in question to get at the option for checking the file system.

While I'm waiting, is this the proper path?

newperms /user/Media/XBMC/Music

not quite - it should be '/mnt/user/Media/XBMC/Music' as all User Shares appear at the Linux level under /mnt/user.    For completeness, disks appear as '/mnt/disk' where ? represents the disk number.  As a general rule everything under /mnt represents persistent storage whereas everything else (except /boot which is the flash) is only held in RAM.

Here's the results from the file system check-

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
        - found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
        - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
        - setting up duplicate extent list...
        - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 0
No modify flag set, skipping phase 5
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
        - traversing filesystem ...
        - traversal finished ...
        - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify link counts...
No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting.

I don't pretend to understand any of it, but I don't see anything that looks like an error?

Archived