Seed torrents without writing to array or spinning parity disk?

I have my torrents seeding from /mnt/disk3/torrents/seeds/ but realized that this will still spin the parity disk.

I know I could go directly to a cache-only share, but my cache drive is 250GB and I know my torrents will far exceed that in the near future.

Is the best option to copy finished torrents to a disk mounted outside the array (using the unassigned devices plugin)? 

This would then be:

- Deluge downloads torrents to cache-only share (/mnt/cache/downloads/torrents/)

- On completion, it moves them to <disk mounted outside array> so it can seed from there

- Sonarr and Couch Potato monitor the <disk mounted outside array> and copy what it needs to back to the array into my media share (which is then protected by parity and redundancy).

too much trouble I think

just keep deluge folders in cache and make sonarr/couchpotato copy finished downloads

and of course replace cache drive with bigger size

also think that when you download you write to two disks

it's a waste of disk live and power in my opinion

too much trouble I think

just keep deluge folders in cache and make sonarr/couchpotato copy finished downloads

It's not cost effective to buy a cache drive of several TB in size.  My seeding on my desktop PC (which I'm migrating to unraid) is nearly 2TB in size.

too much trouble I think

but your solution is less cost effective!

one cache and one more for seeding!

It's not cost effective to buy a cache drive of several TB in size.  My seeding on my desktop PC (which I'm migrating to unraid) is nearly 2TB in size.

Either cache only share, or use a HDD mounted outside the array, and put the docker/VM image on that drive so that the docker/VM service won't start until it is mounted.

For my education, what is the reason to put the docker.img on the drive mounted outside the array?  I'm not following the "won't start until it is mounted" part.

Right now docker.img is on cache drive only.

The parity would only spin when writing the file to the array drive, not while seeding it. You don't need parity spinning to read from an array drive. Move the completed ones to the a cached array share and also let sonarr and couch move to the cache in a media share. Then, the mover puts the whole mess of seeding and final media to the array all at the same time when it runs.

Either cache only share, or use a HDD mounted outside the array, and put the docker/VM image on that drive so that the docker/VM service won't start until it is mounted.

For my education, what is the reason to put the docker.img on the drive mounted outside the array?  I'm not following the "won't start until it is mounted" part.

Right now docker.img is on cache drive only.

If a docker is pointed at a share that isn't already mounted it will not mount the share and the docker service will have to be restarted.

Do you already have a drive you could mount outside the array?

If not, buy one.

Then, use it as a cache drive to keep things simple.

I fail to see how this becomes more or less cost effective. You either have the drive or dont and need to buy it.

I have a 250GB SSD as a cache drive. It's too small to also be my torrent seed share.

I can either have the torrents in the array or on an HD I mount outside the array.

I initially thought having it inside the array was a bad idea due to parity checks but someone recent replies correcting me that it's only impacting parity on writes, but reads.

Unlike @METDeath, I'm not having any issues writing to the array.

So given the above info, it seems like there is no real downside to writing to the array directly since seeding torrents is reading from the drives which doesn't involve parity drive at all.

Caveat: It's true that reading from an array drive doesn't involve the parity drive normally... if that disk is being emulated because of an error state then the parity drive will be involved.