Moving /mnt/cache to /mnt/user/cache_backup

Hi,

I would like to to finally setup my cache pool now and am looking for a little bit of assistance in moving the data off, to rebuild and then re-add it.

Is this as simple as:

1) Boot into safe mode

2) move data off cache to array

mv -R /mnt/cache/* /mnt/user/cache_backup

3) create cache pool

4) move data back from array to cache

mv -R /mnt/user/cache_backup/* /mnt/cache

5) Reboot into normal mode

That move will move the docker.img as well. Will that be ok?

Will that type of move retain all the correct permissions?

Thanks

In fact, the only folder on my cache that i want to save is the "dockerapps" folder that houses all my docker config files. (the same as the default "appdata" folder)

What does the docker.img file house? Can this be deleted and then recreated? or is it easier just to move it off?

My biggest concern is permissions.

In fact, the only folder on my cache that i want to save is the "dockerapps" folder that houses all my docker config files. (the same as the default "appdata" folder)

What does the docker.img file house? Can this be deleted and then recreated? or is it easier just to move it off?

General rule, the docker.img file only contains the actual application itself.  All of the configuration information for each application is stored outside the img within AppData folder

Because of this, I think its rather pointless to backup the .img file as its *very* easily recreated when reinstalling your previous apps

General rule, the docker.img file only contains the actual application itself.  All of the configuration information for each application is stored outside the img within AppData folder

Because of this, I think its rather pointless to backup the .img file as its *very* easily recreated when reinstalling your previous apps

Ok, thanks, that saves copying over a 268GB file  :D

Now i just need the correct command to move the "appdata" folder and i'm good to go.

Ok, thanks, that saves copying over a 268GB file  :D

Now i just need the correct command to move the "appdata" folder and i'm good to go.

ok  Gotta ask this.  Why do you need a 268GB docker.img file?    :o  I don't think that I've ever seen any of the "power" docker users around here ever needing more than 50GB

I have no idea. Seemed a good idea at the time. I have 3TB cache drives and didn't want to run out of room. What's recommended? 50GB? 100GB?

Whatever size suits your usage case is the recommended size for you.  (ie: there is no answer as long as its not too small).  You can see your current usage of the image file by going to settings / docker