Sleep VM or always on? power consumption?

I would like to know the convenience of letting a VM always on.

I usually do esporadic work with this home VM from work, and I would'n like to see an increment of my electricity bill.

Can someone give some advice?

Is minimum the power consumption of a VM at idle and it has no sense to shut it down?

Must I activate/deactivate sleep?  will I loose connection from outside?

Thankyou

Gus

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have noticed that my cpu cores are able to power down much lower when the vm isn't running. E5-2670 likes to sit at around 2600mhz just idling at the desktop for some strange reason. Suspending the vm will allow most / all cores pinned to the vm to clock down to around 1300mhz. This is a fairly significant saving when you have two cpus (which I do, just waiting for another 8pin power cable to arrive to plug the other one in).

I notice that when you sleep the vm unraid correctly recognises the vm has been suspended. There just doesn't seem to be a way to wake the vm from sleep. I really hope this can be fixed in future.

I imagine sleeping any VMs would be a tricky thing to implement. But it would an appreciated feature. +1

There's two major ways to deal with it, one is to allow the guest OS to request and control sleep features, which isn't fully supported and may or may not work. The other is to use the KVM virsh to suspend and resume, which I believe Limetech is working to implement. I don't know that the virsh method is foolproof, but it should be easier to support.

I imagine sleeping any VMs would be a tricky thing to implement. But it would an appreciated feature. +1

There's two major ways to deal with it, one is to allow the guest OS to request and control sleep features, which isn't fully supported and may or may not work. The other is to use the KVM virsh to suspend and resume, which I believe Limetech is working to implement. I don't know that the virsh method is foolproof, but it should be easier to support.

I may be misunderstanding but virsh requires you have another pc from which to ssh in and suspend/resume/restart etc.? I think this probably isn't all that useful for the average user that may be running say a nas/gaming setup (which is one of the ways LT choose to market unRaid). They just want the vm to go to sleep like it normally would come back some time later and wiggle the mouse / tap a key on the keyboard to wake it up again. They don't necessarily have another computer with a teminal, putty or similar in which to ssh into the box to initiate kvm virsh.

Please feel free to correct me if I got the wrong idea though.