Embedded USB Type-A Adapter

WeeboTech

Saw this on addonics website and thought it might be useful for those wishing to mount the USB thumb drive inside the computer.

Interested in using the USB Thumb drive as an internal storge device in your Desktop?

This Embedded USB type-A adapter may just be the solution you are looking for.

A small module plug directly onto the 10-pin internal USB connector commonly found in motherboard, the embedded USB Type-A adapter instantly adds 2 standard USB type A port to a Desktop computer. Up to two USB Thumb drives can now be installed inside any Desktop, Server or Rack mounted systems to be used like internal Solid State Drive (SSD) or as a USB boot drive if the BIOS in the system supports USB boot device.

Home > Products > IO Converter/Bridge Board > Embedded USB Type-A Adapter

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/AD5PUSBA.asp

AD5PUSBA_diagram.jpg

AD5PUSBA_inserted.jpg

Nice Find.  I might just go ahead and order one of these as I have been wanting to mount my USB drive inside and have not found a "clean" way to do it.  I wanted the USB on top of the case to be wired up in case I had to plug in a USB HD or something, plus I did not want all the extra length of cable for that connector inside the case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new to unraid, so please excuse this question if it is covered elsewhere.  When I build my unraid system, I would rather have my usb drive internal instead of sticking out of one of the external ports.  If the unraid software is updated or you migrate to a new version, would you be able to do the upgrade without taking the usb drive out of the unraid computer and putting it in another computer to load the new software?

thanks,

Murray

In the unraid GUI you can set the flash share to be read write. Since unraid is loaded into ram at boot you can happily upload and overwrite the old version with the new version. Then simply rebooting will bring the new version online.

So in a work yes :)

If the unraid software is updated or you migrate to a new version, would you be able to do the upgrade without taking the usb drive out of the unraid computer and putting it in another computer to load the new software?

thanks,

Murray

Yes, the contents of the flash drive are accessible from the LAN.  You do not need to physically move the USB drive to another PC to upgrade the software on it.  Internal mounting would work perfectly well and eliminate accidental breakage, or loss, or being eaten by the family dog. (all of which have been reported at one time or another by various users of unRAID ;))

Archived