transmission how to change username and password

this has probably been answered a million times here but ill ask it again. how do i change my username and password.

i have tried changing the settings.json file and everytime it automatically changes it back to the defaults.

the steps that i have been following have been....

shutting down the daemon (though the dashboard) i have verified it is shut down using "# ps -eo 'tty,pid,comm' | grep ^?"

i will see a service called "transmission-da" when its running and it disapers when it is stopped

next ill edit the settings.json file changing the following

"rpc-username": "admin",

"rpc-password": "{81d2dfc14b953583723c5fcbb7914455c108da59Kdqpld82",

i save it and then start the the daemon. the username and password always revert back to the defaults. can anyone point me to the solution for this please. or if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

im using:

Transmission 2.84 (14307)

Docker version: 1.7.1

i have tried what ever i could find on google ill check out your sig links. if i dont post back i wasn't able to find the solution.

No, I meant which specific docker container are you using? Community Applications shows there are 4 transmission dockers created by forum members.

Do you have Community Applications plugin installed?

And this question?

Do you have Community Applications plugin installed?

sorry... no i dont

Highly recommended. CA shows you all of the plugins and dockers available, lets you install any of them, and even gives you a link to the support thread for each.

Did you?

Try reading its support thread. See search tips in my sig.

i read the search tips i couldn't find anything more on this transmission problem.

i was able to install the community applications app and found my currently installed dockers under the installed apps tab. my version from gfjardim has a moderator comment that he is now recomending that i install one from a different repo. ill uninstall it and search the CA app for one with a good star rating. i post again after i install the new one and let you know if it is fixed.

i installed transmission from the author "linuxserver" it had a 16 star rating.

i can now kill transmission trough the dashboard. edit the settings.json. start transmission through the dashboard. then user name and password now change to what i want.

now to re-connect it to everything else... and what was my stupid unmask value.... lol

this problem has been on the back burner for like 3 months. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

For anyone else who might stumble upon this thread looking for the same thing, you can actually change the username and password for the gfjardim transmission container.

There are two environment variables passed to it, called USERNAME and PASSWORD

By default both are set to transmission but you can change them as you like. The changes will be preserved through reinstalls.