Help with VirtIO Drivers for a Windows 10 VM

Hey,

I'm fairly new at forums so be gentle however feedback and advice is appreciated so I can forum better in the future.

I have UNRAID 6 running on a computer I built to serve as a NAS and it is beautiful, runs very reliably and I love it.

I recently set up a VM with the latest version of Ubuntu and it runs great.

I'm trying to set up a new VM for Windows 10.

I have created the VM with help from a Youtube video called 2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower - Virtualized Gaming Build Log by LinusTechTips

I used the installation ISO straight from the Microsoft site and I got the VirtIO Drivers from: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers#Direct_download

My VM boots and I input my language and region settings then I am taken to a driver select page.

I select browse then navigate to "CD Drive (E:) virtio-win-0.1.1" then "viostor" then "w10" then I select "amd64" and I press OK.

This shows a driver in the list but when I select next it processes for a sec then an error message pops up saying "No new de i ce drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, then click OK."

I have tried both the stable and the latest driver versions from the download page and I can't get past this step.

Help and/or advice here is massively appreciated.

A couple of things....

Are you following the driver installation sequence described here;

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/VM_Management#Step_5:_Install_the_VirtIO_drivers_from_inside_the_VM_.28Windows_Guests_Only.29

That page specifically indicates that the viostor drivers should be installed last. It's not clear from your post if you've done the others, but if not, maybe try Balloon, NetKVM and vioserial drivers first?

The second thing is, I recently set up a Win 8.1 VM and used the Win 8.1 drivers from the ISO. I subsequently implemented the Windows 10 upgrade and attempted to update the virtio drivers from device manager using the Win10 folders on the ISO. In all cases, windows reported that I already had the most up to date drivers which would lead me to believe that there's no difference between the 8.1 and 10 versions on the ISO.

You could try installing the 8.1 versions during Win 10 installation to see if that gets you past this screen?

There is a thread on here somewhere that details the windows vm virtio driver install process.

You have to install several drivers from that path in a specific order and it will work

I'll see if I can find it

EDIT: I see that meep already linked to a wiki article. You have to install them in that exact order

Thanks for the replies.

I'm running version 6.1.9

Correct me if I'm wrong here, also forgive me, I think that guide is only relevant for converting an existing Windows install on a physical disk to a VM.

This wouldn't apply to me as I'm attempting to install Windows fresh from an install ISO.

The driver install instructions seem to be for performing within the Windows environment, using file explorer, I can't actually install Windows.

Thanks for the replies.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, also forgive me, I think that guide is only relevant for converting an existing Windows install on a physical disk to a VM.

This wouldn't apply to me as I'm attempting to install Windows fresh from an install ISO.

The driver install instructions seem to be for performing within the Windows environment, using file explorer, I can't actually install Windows.

When you fire up the vm, you should see the file explorer (I'm assuming that's what you used when you tried to select the drivers). Step 5 of the guide (wiki) linked above is referring to that file explorer. Select/install the four drivers in that order and you'll be able to continue with the install as it will recognize your virtual hard drive.

By the way, I noticed that you said you're using virtio drivers 0.1.1? Was that a typo? I used 0.1.96 a year ago and now 0.1.112 is available just so you know

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I linked to the incorrect guide - the point I was trying to make was that it's important that you install the VIRTIO drivers in a specified order. Here's the case relevant to our situation (specify drivers during Windows install process);

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Loading_the_VirtIO_Drivers_During_Installation

Peter

SOLVED!!!

The issue was the Windows 10 disk image I was using.

I downloaded the English International version.

I tried the process exactly the same again with the ordinary English image and bom, worked as expected.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, Markyb0y said:

Windows ISo and a X drive which is the boot, I do not see a virtio drive to get the drivers from?

am I supposed to load to ISO to the VM?

Yes, just like your Windows installer ISO you need to mount the virt-io ISO as a cdrom. If you don't have the file for the virtio drivers yet, click on the "?Help" for your VM template, in the help text should be a URL to download the image file, just put it with your other ISOs and then reference it.  This should popup the missing drive, if it doesn't you could open up Disk Management in Windows. Right-click on Windows button; choose "Disk Manager," then see if there is a cdrom device that is missing a drive-letter, and give it one.  I doubt you'll need this last step.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Jcloud
clarification

If anyone has this issue in the future......

it appears to be related to the "Libvirt storage location"

I changed the folder, saved, deleted the original libvirt in the original folder, then changed the folder back, saved, it recreated the libvirt.img and now the E drive is available

weird

Edited by Markyb0y
  • 2 years later...
On 5/16/2016 at 3:56 AM, meph88 said:

My VM boots and I input my language and region settings then I am taken to a driver select page.

I select browse then navigate to "CD Drive (E:) virtio-win-0.1.1" then "viostor" then "w10" then I select "amd64" and I press OK.

This shows a driver in the list but when I select next it processes for a sec then an error message pops up saying "No new de i ce drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, then click OK."

I know its an old thread, but I had the same problem and I found the reason for this. I created the VM and selected for USB Bus, VirtIO Bus and vDisk Bus the Option "SATA" as I know it is faster than IDE. But using "SATA" is wrong for the vDisk Bus. After booting with this setting it displays the driver as meph88 mentioned, but its not possible to install it. Editing the VM and changing it back to "VirtIO" does not help. Instead it is needed to set a new vDisk path, which creates a new disk image or to delete the VM including the vDisk and create a new VM. This explains why it worked for meph88 with the different ISO I think (as he then used the default settings I think).

• 4 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 9:41 AM, mgutt said:

I know its an old thread, but I had the same problem and I found the reason for this. I created the VM and selected for USB Bus, VirtIO Bus and vDisk Bus the Option "SATA" as I know it is faster than IDE. But using "SATA" is wrong for the vDisk Bus. After booting with this setting it displays the driver as meph88 mentioned, but its not possible to install it. Editing the VM and changing it back to "VirtIO" does not help. Instead it is needed to set a new vDisk path, which creates a new disk image or to delete the VM including the vDisk and create a new VM. This explains why it worked for meph88 with the different ISO I think (as he then used the default settings I think).

i had this same issue and found that making the install ISO with that stupid media creator tool was the issue, when i did the workaround to download the ISO directly it worked just fine