Reported numerous disk read/write errors

as the title states i just received a pushbullet notification from my server saying that disk 8 of my array has had 384 read errors. looking at the log (what i can see on my mobile phone) it looks like there were also write errors, possibly being due to the device not being ready?

Being that i am going to be out for at least the next four or five hours i was hoping someone in thr community could take a look at the diagnostics logs and the smart reports and let me know if i need to throw my hot spare in to the array remotely ? I have a drive plugged in that is just waiting to be swapped for the first failed disk.

I am waiting for fresh smart reports to return on the disk in question and will post thrm once i have thrm.

I apolgize again for the errors in spelling and grammar i am on my mobile phone.

Edit: in fact it looks like it has disabled the disk and won't even let me run a smart test on it. Should I assume the disk is shot and swap it?

void-diagnostics-20160616-1907.zip

unRAID always disables a disk when it has a write error. This is because the contents of the disk are no longer valid. The missing writes and so the valid contents are in the array which is now emulating the drive.

Definitely some issue with that disk but without a SMART report hard to know whether it is disk or something else like a connection to the disk.

And since it sounds like you can't physically access the server at the moment probably nothing you can do except rebuild to your spare. If it were me I would probably just shut down and wait till I got home to investigate but that may not fit your needs.

I am ok with rebuilding the array to the new disk. If it turns out the disk is ok I can still pull the contents off the disk as long as the file system is ok right?

Edit: on second thought I will just turn the server off and deal with it tomorrow. I have some co-workers using plex but I will text them and let them know what is going on.

unRAID always disables a disk when it has a write error. This is because the contents of the disk are no longer valid. The missing writes and so the valid contents are in the array which is now emulating the drive.

Definitely some issue with that disk but without a SMART report hard to know whether it is disk or something else like a connection to the disk.

And since it sounds like you can't physically access the server at the moment probably nothing you can do except rebuild to your spare. If it were me I would probably just shut down and wait till I got home to investigate but that may not fit your needs.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

The short smart test came back fine with no errors, I am waiting for the extended test to complete. If they come back fine should I try to re-enable the disk?

I have verified that the SATA cable and power adapter are firmly seated so I don't think it is a loose connection.

EDIT: Extended came back fine as well. I went ahead and swapped the spare in anyways just to be on the safe side. Data is currently being rebuilt from parity. I mounted the "failed" drive and all the data appears to be there and is 100% intact so it may have just been a controller error. Once I have verified the rebuilt data is intact I am going to run a preclear on the old drive and see if it has any issues. If not I will probably keep it for a hot spare.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned running SMART tests, but not the SMART report (which can be obtained without running the tests).  Allowing us to see that might allow for more informed advice about the disk.

The reports were fine as well, no re-allocated sectors or anything that would indicate an actual drive failure.

I added the drive back into the box and have been reading and writing test data to it (nothing I would be upset to lose) and have yet to have anymore issues with it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk