Licensing unRAID 5.06

Marcel

Hi,

I have downloaded the last stable version of unRAID 5 (5.06) and installed it on an older server.

It says "Basic" in the web interface. But I can only assign 3 disk slots (and no cache) although 4 drives are installed and recognized.

Can it be that although it says "Basic" I actually have a trial version now and need to register it to try a cache drive and get more slots?

What's the registration process for unRAID 5 anyway?

(Actually I have just installed an unRAID 6 trial on a new server without having these kind of issues.)

Thanks & regards,

Marcel

Hi,

I have downloaded the last stable version of unRAID 5 (5.06) and installed it on an older server.

It says "Basic" in the web interface. But I can only assign 3 disk slots (and no cache) although 4 drives are installed and recognized.

Can it be that although it says "Basic" I actually have a trial version now and need to register it to try a cache drive and get more slots?

What's the registration process for unRAID 5 anyway?

(Actually I have just installed an unRAID 6 trial on a new server without having these kind of issues.)

Thanks & regards,

Marcel

Unraid 5 does not have a trial mode. Also, it's extremely out of date at this point, there are multiple serious security risks in version 5. It's not recommended.

This is supposed to run on old x32 hardware (for the time being). Hence the version 5 since V6 only runs on x64 hardware.

So, how do I get it to 4 slots then?

Security risks meaning vulnerabilities to hacking? Or issues with reliability/ data integrity?

Since this is supposed to be backup server which will only run when creating or restoring backups I probably could live with vulnerabilities.

This is supposed to run on old x32 hardware (for the time being). Hence the version 5 since V6 only runs on x64 hardware.

So, how do I get it to 4 slots then?

You can't, except for buying a license.

Security risks meaning vulnerabilities to hacking? Or issues with reliability/ data integrity?

it just does not have the newest updates to packages, the linux kernel, and that sort of stuff.

I am absolutely willing to buy a license! :)

The confusion comes from the fact that on the LimeTech website it says 6 drives are supported for the Basic license.

I assume that is for unRAID 6.

Therefore my earlier question about the registration process for unRAID 5 these days. And which license actually gets me how many drives?

BTW: if I could get unRAID 6 to run on the hardware (Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz) that would be even better. But when i tried, it wouldn't boot.

That's how I ended up with unRAID 5 in the first place.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Marcel

I got the Plus license right away and everything worked like a charm. I was able to add another data drive and a cache disk.

Thank you, guys! :)

I ran into trouble though when I upgraded the server from it's orginal 512MB of RAM to 2 GB.

If any of you know how unRAID 5 handles RAM it would be great if you could have a look at it here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50164.0

Thanks a lot!

Marcel

The specs of the additional memory match the specs given by ASUS for the P4P800E motherboard (PC3200 400Mhz 3-3-3-8).

Of course the memory I bought wasn't listed on the compatibility list published in 2007 by ASUS which only had 512MB modules listed.

I have tried to configure the BIOS settings for the RAM manually instead of leaving everything on Auto (clock speed, voltage etc.) but that didn't help.

• Do you know of any downside to having just 512MB RAM for a pure storage server which will never be accessed by more than one client at a time?
  • is there any upside to having more than 512MB?

Archived