UPS Backup APC BK450 will it work?

xdriver

I have this unit http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/BK450/P-BK450?isCurrentSite=true

Will this work without modification utilizing a serial cable? Serial/connection information starts on page 23. I am running v6.1.9

I only want the UPS to send the command to do a safe shutdown if the power is off for more than a minute. I don't need a reboot of any nature either, just a safe shutdown and I can reboot when I am back at the house and power is restored, etc.

Do you have the specific cable that came with the UPS? The pinout is not the same as a generic serial cable.

If you have the correct cable, a working serial port on your motherboard, and the UPS has enough reserve power to safely power down your server (this is the part I seriously doubt) then theoretically it should work.

I would do a dummy load shutdown test before possibly crashing your server with a partial shutdown. That UPS is awfully small for a server.

I do not have the specific cable, I was going to buy one, but it seems that they may be expensive compared to just buying a new UPS. I know there are threads with different suggestions, but what is the most compatible with unraid? From the few threads I read, it "seemed" like going with an APC with AVR was the best bet. Any additional input would be appreciated.

Note: I am not sure what my total power consumption is but I am running (5) WD Reds (reviews say max of 16W=80W) and one solid state cache (max 2W) and an Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz with 4 gigs of ram (65W). The drives are spun down 90% of the day.  So a total of 147W plus my power supply which I don't know what that uses.

In general yes, APC with AVR will be the most compatible, and easiest to configure.

As far as load, you need a UPS with enough VA capacity to easily handle the surge of spinning up all your drives at once, and enough battery AH's to allow the server time to shut down. UPS batteries do not like to be fully discharged, it shortens their life, so ideally you want to be fully shut down and still have at least 50% life left in the batteries. Personally I wouldn't consider anything smaller than 600 or so VA, ideally you want more capacity. Keep in mind you probably should plug your ethernet switch, router, and modem into a UPS as well, so you can have contact with your server during shutdown if needed.

Thank you. I have posted in the discussion of the plugin.

Just to be sure, apcupsd will shutdown computers over my local network even if the UPS does not have a network card? UPS sends USB signal to unraid, unraid sends network signal over local network?

I figure it is meant for the ~$200 units that can be purchased on amazon?

Thank you. I have posted in the discussion of the plugin.

Just to be sure, apcupsd will shutdown computers over my local network even if the UPS does not have a network card? UPS sends USB signal to unraid, unraid sends network signal over local network?

I figure it is meant for the ~$200 units that can be purchased on amazon?

Yes, that is the way I understand it works.  You can also google for the 'apcupsd manual' from the development group for apcupsd.  As I recall, it has a full description on the 'how' part.