Simple way to take a snapshot or backup of a Windows 10 VM

guigz

I have searched and found several complicated ways of making a backup for a VM in Unraid. I did not understand any of those. :-[

I am looking for a simple/easy way to make a punctual backup. I don't need incremental or recurring backups. I have my VM set up just the way I want and I want to make a copy in case I screw up my settings. I am using the VM as a DVR and encoder and I wrote a bunch of scripts to automate that and don't want to lose them to my incompetence.

Thanks for the help!

I have searched and found several complicated ways of making a backup for a VM in Unraid. I did not understand any of those. :-[

I am looking for a simple/easy way to make a punctual backup. I don't need incremental or recurring backups. I have my VM set up just the way I want and I want to make a copy in case I screw up my settings. I am using the VM as a DVR and encoder and I wrote a bunch of scripts to automate that and don't want to lose them to my incompetence.

Thanks for the help!

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47986.0  you can try this

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help!

If you dont need it to be automatic just make a copy of the vdisk using a docker such as krusader. Just copy and paste it to another location. Make sure vm is off when you do the copy. Should something go wrong with the vm you can just copy the vdisk back and it will work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just posting this for others looking for a simple solution.

What I ended up doing was simply copying the vdisk image to somewhere else on the array. While this is not a good solution for large VMs, it is perfect for those 20 GB windows 10 machines. I can simply use the copy to start a new VM without having to redo the installation, drivers, etc...

Thanks for the help!

If you dont need it to be automatic just make a copy of the vdisk using a docker such as krusader. Just copy and paste it to another location. Make sure vm is off when you do the copy. Should something go wrong with the vm you can just copy the vdisk back and it will work.

This is the easiest way!