6.3.0-rc1 - Sound card passthrough

So I got the sound card, installed it in the system. No matter what I did, the sound card was grouped with another PCI-e to PCI slot in terms of groupings.

I edited syslinux.cfg and added the PCI ids for stubbing out

pci-ids.stub=1b21:1080,13f6:8788

to the line with append and before the

initrd=/bzroot

here are the devices:

07:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge [1b21:1080] (rev 04)
08:04.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] [13f6:8788]

and IOMMU groupings:

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/19/devices/0000:07:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/19/devices/0000:08:04.0

I rebooted the system and was able to see the sound card available under PCI devices. I assigned it to the Windows 10 VM. Update. Click start for VM and I got the following error:

internal error: early end of file from monitor, possible problem: 
2016-10-13T16:13:46.140484Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=08:04.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9: vfio: Error: Failed to setup INTx fd: Device or resource busy
2016-10-13T16:13:46.173133Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=08:04.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9: Device initialization failed

Do I need to edit the XML manually and assign both devices to the VM manually? I thought as long as I stub them out, I can assign one and leave other one unassigned?

I tried assigning the other PCI device to the VM as well and got the following error:

Failed to bind PCI device '0000:07:00.0' to vfio-pci: No such device

Note: nothing is plugged into the PCI slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I got the sound card, installed it in the system. No matter what I did, the sound card was grouped with another PCI-e to PCI slot in terms of groupings.

I edited syslinux.cfg and added the PCI ids for stubbing out

pci-ids.stub=1b21:1080,13f6:8788

to the line with append and before the

initrd=/bzroot

here are the devices:

07:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge [1b21:1080] (rev 04)
08:04.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] [13f6:8788]

and IOMMU groupings:

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/19/devices/0000:07:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/19/devices/0000:08:04.0

I rebooted the system and was able to see the sound card available under PCI devices. I assigned it to the Windows 10 VM. Update. Click start for VM and I got the following error:

internal error: early end of file from monitor, possible problem: 
2016-10-13T16:13:46.140484Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=08:04.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9: vfio: Error: Failed to setup INTx fd: Device or resource busy
2016-10-13T16:13:46.173133Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=08:04.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9: Device initialization failed

This most likely means that your PCIe device doesn't support PCI2.3 INTx disable. Your device can't be passed through because it share the same IRQ as another device. You could try to swap the card around to see if you manage to get it on it's own IRQ.

This is why I said this card was trouble in one of your earlier threads. If you can, I would advice you to return the card, as it most likely wouldn't work the way you want it to work.

Do I need to edit the XML manually and assign both devices to the VM manually? I thought as long as I stub them out, I can assign one and leave other one unassigned?

I tried assigning the other PCI device to the VM as well and got the following error:

Failed to bind PCI device '0000:07:00.0' to vfio-pci: No such device

Note: nothing is plugged into the PCI slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stubbing has nothing to do with iommu grouping. Stubbing is to bind the device to the vfio driver before any other driver can use it so the device is not available for pass through.

This is why I said this card was trouble in one of your earlier threads. If you can, I would advice you to return the card, as it most likely wouldn't work the way you want it to work.....

Can you try to get a different sound card?

Yes, luckily I order most of my electronics from Amazon and they have a very customer friendly return service (only down-side is the bit expensive return shipping, $10 most of the time regardless of item cost).

Do you have any recommendations for a sound card that is known to work for pass-through setup?

I did check out the ubuntu thread; the down side is, it disables USB ports and without knowing which ones it would disable I would use keyboard/mouse for my VMs.

This is why I said this card was trouble in one of your earlier threads. If you can, I would advice you to return the card, as it most likely wouldn't work the way you want it to work.....

Can you try to get a different sound card?

Yes, luckily I order most of my electronics from Amazon and they have a very customer friendly return service (only down-side is the bit expensive return shipping, $10 most of the time regardless of item cost).

Do you have any recommendations for a sound card that is known to work for pass-through setup?

I did check out the ubuntu thread; the down side is, it disables USB ports and without knowing which ones it would disable I would use keyboard/mouse for my VMs.

I don't have any recommendations as I haven't used other than onboard and the GPUs audio.

I decided to forgo the sound card route and ordered a hdmi to rca converter to connect the HDMI sound from GPU to my 5.1 system. Hopefully that should do the trick and get me working audio in my VM.

In the meantime fingers crossed that eventually on-board audio will work for pass-through so I can use with another VM.