How to install a docker w/o a repository

Have a look at the docker faq sticky in the docker engine forum.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply and continued help CHBMB. I looked at the topics in there around dockerhub dockers, which I assume would be similar to getting a docker from github. I still am at a loss of how to actually import the file, where to place it and how to get unraid to recognize it. Sorry for being dense but I couldn't make the leap from that post to getting this to work. Did I look at the right ones?

I don't think you've quite grasped how docker works that's all.

So the workflow is like this.  Firstly the code for the docker is written locally and then uploaded to a github repository, then a common way to use the dockerfile is to create a docker hub account and create a new repository and point it to the github dockerfile.  Docker hub will then build a docker container that you can use.  On Unraid you can set Community Applications to search for dockerhub images/containers.  However they won't come with a template to fill in or instructions necessarily.  So unless you thibk you can figure it out a much easier way is to find an app/docker that is already in Community Applications that someone has made a template for.

Also you need to bear in mind, that just because there is code in github or a container on dockerhub, there is no guarantee that it will work and I've found that a reasonable number of containers just aren't in a fit state to be used.

You're also better off using containers with support threads here as, certainly for the linuxserver.io containers, there are mechanisms in place to ensure file permissions are handled correctly.

To take someones code from github to running it on Unraid isn't impossible by any means but it does require a reasonable degree of knowledge and if you've never done it before and have no Linux experience you should question just how much you need this particular version of the app.  If on the other hand you're comfortable with Linux then it may well be worth while.

So the workflow is like this.  Firstly the code for the docker is written locally and then uploaded to a github repository, then a common way to use the dockerfile is to create a docker hub account and create a new repository and point it to the github dockerfile.  Docker hub will then build a docker container that you can use.  On Unraid you can set Community Applications to search for dockerhub images/containers.  However they won't come with a template to fill in or instructions necessarily.  So unless you thibk you can figure it out a much easier way is to find an app/docker that is already in Community Applications that someone has made a template for.

Also you need to bear in mind, that just because there is code in github or a container on dockerhub, there is no guarantee that it will work and I've found that a reasonable number of containers just aren't in a fit state to be used.

You're also better off using containers with support threads here as, certainly for the linuxserver.io containers, there are mechanisms in place to ensure file permissions are handled correctly.

To take someones code from github to running it on Unraid isn't impossible by any means but it does require a reasonable degree of knowledge and if you've never done it before and have no Linux experience you should question just how much you need this particular version of the app.  If on the other hand you're comfortable with Linux then it may well be worth while.

Just to clarify this CHBMB.  When you run across a dockerfile on github but that user has no created a dockerhub repository does that mean that it is impossible to run it without building it yourself?  (docker build I suppose)  asking because I truly don't know....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Just to clarify this CHBMB.  When you run across a dockerfile on github but that user has no created a dockerhub repository does that mean that it is impossible to run it without building it yourself?  (docker build I suppose)  asking because I truly don't know....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

If there's no dockerhub repository then you either build it yourself locally using the dockerfile or on dockerhub.