"Too many wrong and/or missing disks!"

codo1234

but i cant still start the array because disk5, i need to disconnect him?

Just create a new array with the existing disks and a new disk3 and let it rebuild parity. Forget about disk5 and its files.

By this I mean go to Tools - New Config, assign all your good disks and only your good disks, making absolutely sure that you assign the parity disk to the parity slot.

Then post a screenshot of Main - Array Devices and another screenshot of Main - Array Operations. If everything looks good you will be able to start the array and rebuild parity.

Those disk assignments seem correct according to your latest diagnostic. You can start the array and let it build parity now.

After parity finishes you should consider replacing disk2:

Serial Number:    5XW2WJY2
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   070   070   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       1258

Lesson 1) Set up Notifications so unRAID can notify you before you get more than one disk failed. You can't recover more than one disk if you only have one parity. The latest unRAID supports 2 parity, which would allow recovery of 2 disks if you want to consider that, but in any case, set up Notifications.

Agree.  And if you're not going to back up your data (you SHOULD), then you should at least use dual parity.  With dual parity, if you have a disk fail, and immediately replace it, then the likelihood of data loss is significantly reduced with dual parity, since even if a 2nd disk was to fail during the rebuild, it would still be successful.

Lesson 2) Make a backup plan. You don't have to backup everything, just consider that anything that you don't have backed up can be lost forever. Decide what you absolutely cannot bear to lose, what would be very inconvenient to replace, etc.

Absolutely agree -- although I think you should backup everything.  If the data's important enough to keep on a fault-tolerant server, it's likely you do NOT want to lose it.  But it is true that the most important thing is to be sure you've backed up anything you absolutely don't want to lose.    However, I've seen a LOT of folks experience major regret about not having backups when their server had a catastrophic crash and they suddenly realized just how much of a hassle it was going to be to replace all that data they "could replace" so they didn't have it backed up.

Lesson 3) Try to learn how parity actually works. It is not very complicated and it is explained pretty well in the wiki and on Limetech's website. Many of the things I have been trying to explain to you would be obvious if you understood parity.

Much less important than #1 and #2, but nevertheless not a bad idea to at least have some understanding of the mathematical underpinnings of parity.  If you don't want to deal with the math, just remember that the parity disks do NOT have any data on them -- they simply provide the ability, in conjunction with the data disks, to reconstruct a failed disk (or 2 disks in the case of dual parity).

Those disk assignments seem correct according to your latest diagnostic. You can start the array and let it build parity now.

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   070   070   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       1258

thanks, i need to save some money and buy 4 new disks of 4Tara

thanks, i need to save some money and buy 4 new disks of 4Tara

Why 4 new disks? Is that for your backup plan?

I can understand wanting to replace disk2 with a 4TB, and in order to do that you would have to also replace parity with a 4TB, but the other disks could stay as they are.

In fact, you might consider a parity swap and swap the 2TB parity into the disk2 slot and just replace parity with a new 4TB, so only one disk to buy in the short term to let you get the suspect disk2 replaced before it fails. If you decide to go that route, let us know so we can help you follow the correct procedure.

Don't wait until it's too late. And don't forget to setup Notifications.

Archived