Swap cache drive for larger one. What about files on cache?

alright, it still says the mover is running but I dont see what it's moving. And about those other shares as I do have VMs and dockers so I just want to make sure I have the other ones set correctly as well. Thanks Squid you're always a huge help. Should I make these changes and then somehow stop the mover or reboot and then run it again? 

EDIT: I rebooted to stop the mover, it now it moving appdata back to /mnt/cache. which other shares should be set to "prefer" before I turn my dockers and VMs back on?

Edited by mikedpitt420
  • 3 years later...
On 11/3/2016 at 12:12 PM, John_M said:

There are some instructions for old versions of unRAID here: https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

But since you're running a very new version, how about this:

1. Stop your dockers and VMs.

2. Disable docker and VMs in Settings, and switch off array auto-start.

3. Set the shares that are present on your cache disk to "Use cache disk: Yes".

4. Run the mover.

5. Check that the cache disk is now empty.

6. Stop the array and unassign the cache disk, then power down.

7. Replace the cache disk.

8. Power up and assign the new cache disk, then start the array.

9. Format the new cache disk.

10. Change the shares that you want on your cache disk to "Use cache disk: Prefer".

11. Run the mover.

12. Check that the cache disk is no longer empty.

13. Enable docker and VMs in Settings, and switch on array auto-start if preferred.

14. Start dockers and VMs.

Sorry, new to the forum here so may have double posted. I noticed on the official "doc" guide that step three states "Click on Shares and set all shares present on your Cache disk to Use cache disk: No." which obviously gave me some issues until I found this thread. Do you know where I can direct this to be corrected?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 154419.png

5 minutes ago, CS01-HS said:

Isn't the easier procedure adding a second disk to the cache pool, letting it balance, then removing the old one?

Maybe more room for bigger errors.

That's only applicable for BTRFS pools at the moment. I personally use XFS for my cache, as it is a single drive, and I have had better experience with XFS.

• Thanks 1