Weird issue with cache drive. Almost like it's not being used (except it is)

-Daedalus

Hi all,

Having a weird issue here with my setup.

Whenever a download finishes - say, a season of TV - I see the following in server stats, and my whole system slows to a crawl, which impacts game servers I have running to the point of uselessness.

rHQKrpa.png

Download moves from /mnt/user/downloads/incomplete to */downloads/complete when finished.

"downloads" share is set to Use Cache: Yes.

Cache has plenty of free space.

Cache: 2x 500GB SSDs

Array: Bunch of WD Reds, single parity.

Anyone any idea what's going on here? I'm pretty stumped. Syslog attached.

Edit: Weirdly, manually triggering the mover - which should be the same operation, if the array is for some reason involved - runs perfectly fine, and doesn't slow down anything.

server-diagnostics-20161107-2223.zip

• 3 months later...

Your syslog doesn't show anything that might help. What's doing the downloading and the subsequent move? If it's a docker or a VM, does its log show anything?

It's difficult to tell because of the obfuscation but you seem to have a share called d-------s and also one called D-------s - could they be "downloads" and "Downloads" respectively and your files are being moved from one to the other?

Thanks for the reply!

I never did find out what was doing this, but I had a suspicion it was something to do with a move-once-complete action the docker was doing. I tried a different download client and everything worked as expected.

I think those shares you saw were "downloads" and "Documents" (which I have since renamed for consistency's sake).

Archived