VM Sound Sync Issues HTML5 Youtube videos

15 hours ago, StuartMacfarlane said:

I have the same issue on my server setup right now Jon.

All the suggested fixes have been tested inside out. I'm using HDMI Pass Thru for the sound card on the same GPU that is passed through to the VM.

With this sound card enabled the VM is actually quite laggy but especially noticeable on HTML5 youtube videos where the buffering is very slow and audio very delayed.

Removing the sound card and restarting the VM instantly fixes it.

Happy to help debug this remotely if you need anything from me in terms of logs as I can re-create this again and again consistently.

I've also tested different browsers, same issue ;)

post your diagnostics --- Tool Tab>Diagnostics

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, StuartMacfarlane said:

I think I found the issue @MystX

In windows goto sounds and find the option to set the audio quality. It seems when a new sound device is detected it was set to CD Quality which was horrible.

Upon setting this to DVD Quality my sound issues were gone and even though I used a cheap £2.50 USB Sound card it was perfect!

Yeah mine is already set to DVD quality and it has not helped =( and I cant move away from the HDMI sound card.

I've attached my diagnostics for anyone looking at this.

krieger-diagnostics-20170711-0749.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/29/2017 at 12:58 AM, MystX said:

For anyone in the future, it turned out I had the MSI fix enabled on my graphics card, but not the audio device on my graphics card (i'm using HDMI audio).

Enabled it on both and everything working as normal =)

I don't know why, but I never did this.  maybe too many people saying MSI didn't work for them, but after just upgrading my RAM to where i could give my gaming VM a full 16gb all the time I decided to finally take action.  I had always avoided doing this because the sound was OK, but...would drift....

after seeing your post which basically said "make sure you're doing it on the sound part of the HDMI" i went in and did it on my HDMI audio and my onboard audio (which i'm actually using).  when I realized it was a windows registry key.....OMG...I'm pissed at myself that I didn't do this like 6 months ago when i built the vm!  it was SO easy...I am employed working in the Windows World, so... a reg change doesn't scare me.  I just never read into it.  Anyway....

your post armed me with a tiny extra piece of info that gave me the courage to delve in.  it's so weird how we psych ourselves out with stuff like that.  Anyway....just wanted to thank you. 

Edited by allroy1975
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue for months.   

I was using onboard audio.   I had two VM's running concurrently, and stopping one of them would help with the problem (one VM had no audio passed through).   All CPU's were independant between the VMs.   

The issue was still there, so I decided to get a cheap USB audio card ($10).  This helped, but the card was terrible, so it had other issues like freezing up my system and making popping sounds.   

As a last resort I got an Asus Xonar audio card (PCIe) and passed it through using the xml file to make the appropriate changes (it wasn't available in the drop down menu in the VM settings).

I've been running it for a little more than two days, and it is pretty much perfect from what I can tell.   My biggest issue was Plex in the web browser, and that is now completely fixed.   Youtube doesn't seem to freeze up or go out of sync at all either.

I am the furthest thing from an expert on this subject... I know pretty much nothing about Linux, and make no claims that this is a solution that will work for anyone else.  I just hope it might help someone that was going through the same frustration I was going through and didn't think to try what I tried.