Turbo Boost CPU

Also does anyone know how to make the dashboard show the cpu frequencies in 6.2.4? I've seen screenshots on 6.1 systems with the cpu frequencies instead of percentages and I would rather see that than a utilization percentage (on a side note, I wonder if the percent utilization would even go past 100% if turbo boost was working?).

I don't think you can make the dashboard show CPU frequencies in 6.2.x. It was changed at some point because the utilization percentage is believed to be more meaningful.

Both are useful at times though.  I'd like to either see the frequencies come back or a toggle, so we could see both again, whether together or toggled.

I am having the same problem. I have the same CPU as OP on a Super Micro X8SIL MB and when I watch the CPU frequency in SSH it varies from 1200 Hz to 2668 Hz but never turbos to 3200Hz. Turbo boost is enabled in the bios just like OP's photos show.

Is UnRaid unable to take advantage of turbo boost speeds on all hardware?

I have one of those boards with a Xeon X3430 (2.4GHz base, 2.8Ghz boost) so was curious to check it, according to /proc/cpuinfo my CPU was also not boosting, so did some googling and apparently and I quote:

Use sudo turbostat for this. The output of cat /proc/cpuinfo does not always show the real current CPU frequency but instead the maximum non-turbo frequency even when Turbo Boost is enabled and active.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37618/is-turbo-boost-working

We don't have turbostat so I did this test:

-1st check boost is on with:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost

1=on and 0=off

-if it's on run a simple CPU speed test:

time $(i=0; while (( i < 9999999 )); do (( i ++ )); done)

(this will return the the time required to crunch the integers between 0 to 9999999)

this was my result:

real    0m49.444s
user    0m49.429s
sys     0m0.003s

-Now turn boost off:

echo "0" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost

-repeat the test, my result with boost off:

real    0m57.591s
user    0m57.574s
sys     0m0.003s

During all this /proc/cpuinfo reports the max frequency as 2.4Ghz but clearly boost is working.

Every 1.0s: grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo                      Fri Nov 18 15:59:24 2016

cpu MHz         : 1200.000
cpu MHz         : 2401.000

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I just wanna say thanks.

this last 2 posts really helped me out.

I was under the impression, that without the intel P state governor, I can't get turbo on my 7700T.

with your script i could test it, and confirm it was working with 'Conservative' scheduler. it goes back idle to 900, and turbos up to 3800, when it needs to.

thank you!

1 hour ago, LSL1337 said:

I just wanna say thanks.

this last 2 posts really helped me out.

I was under the impression, that without the intel P state governor, I can't get turbo on my 7700T.

with your script i could test it, and confirm it was working with 'Conservative' scheduler. it goes back idle to 900, and turbos up to 3800, when it needs to.

thank you!

Little bit late? ;-)