USB Hotplugging with udev rules

bubbl3

For various reasons I cannot dedicate a USB controller to my Windows VM so was looking into this and found an howto that seems to work:

http://rolandtapken.de/blog/2011-04/how-auto-hotplug-usb-devices-libvirt-vms-update-1

Problem is, all files I create in /etc/udev/rules.d/ disappear on reboot, any idea on how to make them permanent?

that is because that location is in RAM (as is almost anything that is not under /mnt).  If you want the rules to survive a reboot then you need to make a copy of the files to the USB stick and add instructions in the 'go' file to copy them to the required location next time the system is booted.

that is because that location is in RAM (as is almost anything that is not under /mnt).  If you want the rules to survive a reboot then you need to make a copy of the files to the USB stick and add instructions in the 'go' file to copy them to the required location next time the system is booted.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

While the plugin is very useful, I want to be able to shutdown my screen that I also use as a USB hub for keyboard and mouse and have them hotplugged automatically based on udev rules.

Archived