New server - unable to boot to unRAID after a reboot

cbtiger

I'm trying to get my unRAID server set up.  I make the unRAID flash drive, put it in the unRAID machine (BIOS is configured correctly) and have no problem booting into unRAID.  However, whenever I reboot my machine (usually by going to "Main" > Reboot), I am unable to boot back into unRAID.  My computer gives me the "Missing operating system.  Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" error.  Nothing has changed in my BIOS and I didn't touch anything on the flash drive.  When I reformat the drive and do everything all over again, I have no problem booting into it the first time.  But after every reboot I am unable to boot into unRAID.

I followed the directions on how to create the bootable USB drive -

1. Format in FAT32 and call the drive UNRAID

2. Copy all the files/folders from the zipped file over

3. Right click and run "make bootable" file as administrator

4. Right click > eject flash drive

5. Insert into unRAID machine.

I even used a Lime Tech approved USB device.

I've had nothing but problems so far trying to get this setup.

I had similar problems with OS/Hypervisors detecting USB drive when the bare metal server restarted. The only solution was to remove the USB, replug and boot again.

Always had this issue with Kingston USB flash drives.

Since switching to Sandisk (Ultra & Ultra Fit) I haven't had any issues. Try recreating another UNRAID USB using the same method and boot up. Try restarting a few times to see if it is that particular issue.

If in the end it works, then restore your config directory and use the GUI to request a new registration key for that particular USB flash drive.

https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I've been messing around with it, as unplugging and reinserting the flash drive didn't seem to do anything.  It turns out, my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P) has two obscure bios settings:

IOMMU Controller and EHCI Handoff that are disabled by default, with no description as to what they are for.  Anyways, I enabled both of them and now I have no problems booting up repeatedly.  In fact, once I enabled those two settings, all of my networking problems went away as well! I booted up and the internet was working and I could ping everything on my network.  Crazy what a couple random settings in the BIOS can do.

Thanks all for the help.

Which socket were you plugging your USB device into? I assume you tried different ones. You are more likely to have success if you use a USB 2 socket, as opposed to a USB 3 socket. The EHCI Handoff BIOS setting might have some bearing because it is USB-related.

I tried pretty much every USB 2.0 port on my computer.  Didn't bother trying the USB 3.0 ports because I figured there were too many things that could go wrong using it.