Deleted Folder Keeps Reappearing

When you ask what are the permissions do you mean for the share via the Share tab?  From their I see Export and Pubic. 

I haven up update though on the reappearing folder.  I think the problem with the reappearing folder is gone.  After having copied the files back to the folder, which I haven't done since this problem started, I then starting deleting the files from the folder one by one, then deleted the folder.  It's been about an hour and so far the folder has not reappeared.  Usually within 5 minutes or so the folder would reappear.

When you ask what are the permissions do you mean for the share via the Share tab?

No, those are the SMB permissions (or whatever protocol). What I am interested in are the linux owner and permissions of the files which you can see from the command line by changing to their directory and doing
ls -la

When you ask what are the permissions do you mean for the share via the Share tab?

No, those are the SMB permissions (or whatever protocol). What I am interested in are the linux owner and permissions of the files which you can see from the command line by changing to their directory and doing
ls -la

I got the following

total 4

drwx--x---  2 root root  80 Jan 19 11:14 ./

drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 380 Jan 19 11:14 ../

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 298 Nov  5 18:31 .bash_profile*

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  21 Jan 19 11:14 mdcmd -> /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd*

You forgot to do the first part (bolded and size increased above)

Ok, this is what I got...I hope it's right...

drwxrwxrwx  6 nobody users  97 Jan 17 23:08 ./

drwxrwxrwx  5 nobody users  52 Jan 18 09:49 ../

drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users 4096 Jan 13 13:22 Band\ of\ Brothers/

drwxrwxrwx  6 nobody users  70 Jan 18 07:45 Battlestar\ Galactica\ (2003)/

drwxrwxrwx  7 nobody users  86 Jan 18 09:49 Farscape/

drwxrwxrwx 14 nobody users  226 Jan 14 19:41 Stargate/

If I go one further into Farscape

drwxrwxrwx 7 nobody users  86 Jan 18 09:49 ./

drwxrwxrwx 6 nobody users  97 Jan 17 23:08 ../

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users 4096 Jan 12 15:07 Season\ 1/

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users 4096 Jan 12 15:43 Season\ 2/

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users 4096 Jan 12 16:13 Season\ 3/

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users 4096 Jan 21 13:40 Season\ 4/

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users  64 Jan 18 19:40 Season\ 5/

I decided to dive further into each folder and here's what I found..which I suspect is the problem.. how do I change the permissions?

rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 7495686031 Jan  9 17:43 Farscape\ S01E01.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 7457696576 Jan  9 17:48 Farscape\ S01E02.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 7661164908 Jan  9 18:00 Farscape\ S01E03.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 7469417596 Jan  9 18:14 Farscape\ S01E04.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 7446362351 Jan  9 18:22 Farscape\ S01E05.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 9019220987 Jan  9 18:37 Farscape\ S01E06.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 9027230082 Jan  9 18:43 Farscape\ S01E07.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 8989700986 Jan  9 18:45 Farscape\ S01E08.mkv

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 8956804671 Jan  9 18:49 Farscape\ S01E09.mkv

Yes I have, works no problem.

If the share is public, and there are no permissions problems with folders, and you can write to it, then I think you are misunderstanding the problem you are having with the applications trying to write to the folder. Are you absolutely sure you know where the applications are trying to write?

Are these applications on Windows? Are they trying to use a mapped drive, or are they using the network (UNC) path to access the folders? When you were successfully able to write yourself, were you using a mapped drive or were you using the network path?

The app I'm using is Kodi and Jriver. Both are on my windows pc (and are Windows apps) and are writing to \\tower\tv shows, so no mapped drive.  Both apps can write to \\tower\movies no problem.

I don't have any mapped drives so all copying and writing are done using unc.  The apps are trying to write to the root of the series folder ...so tower\tv shows\farscape - in the root of farscape trying to create an nfo file.

Then within each folder there's Season 1, Season 2 which contain all the episodes in mkv format.  The nfo file is trying to be written to each season folder for each mkv file.  So episode 1 will have an nfo file, episode 2 will have an nfo file.

I don't think they are trying to write to each file, ie a tag...not familiar enough with the programs for that.

Ok, I'm back...with a new problem/question.

As we know I have a folder on my disk 2 and 3 called TV shows.  I added a new drive, disk 5, when creating a new config.  On disk 5 I created a folder (via Windows) called TVShows and had to copy a bunch of tv shows sitting on my local hard drive unprotected. I didn't have enough room on my other disks. 

Everything seems to be fine.  I imported my movies into JRiver when pointing to tower\tvshows and it worked fine.  However, I noticed that when Jriver creates it's xml sidecar files and tv images, rather than put them into the folders in which the files imported from, disk 2 and 3, it created new folders on disk 5 for the tvshows found on disks 2 and 3.  So now on disk 5 I have folders for tvshows for all my tvshows rather than just the ones that actually exist on disk 5. 

I'm a little perplexed.  I understand I was pointing to tvshows share but why create extra folders on disk 5 and not just dump them into already existing folders?

Ok, I'm back...with a new problem/question.

As we know I have a folder on my disk 2 and 3 called TV shows.  I added a new drive, disk 5, when creating a new config.  On disk 5 I created a folder (via Windows) called TVShows and had to copy a bunch of tv shows sitting on my local hard drive unprotected. I didn't have enough room on my other disks. 

Everything seems to be fine.  I imported my movies into JRiver when pointing to tower\tvshows and it worked fine.  However, I noticed that when Jriver creates it's xml sidecar files and tv images, rather than put them into the folders in which the files imported from, disk 2 and 3, it created new folders on disk 5 for the tvshows found on disks 2 and 3.  So now on disk 5 I have folders for tvshows for all my tvshows rather than just the ones that actually exist on disk 5. 

I'm a little perplexed.  I understand I was pointing to tvshows share but why create extra folders on disk 5 and not just dump them into already existing folders?

I'm not clear about what you are saying here, and since I don't use jriver I don't know anything about its setup. Are you talking about the already existing folders that are still named "TV shows" or whatever, but now you are telling it to use a folder named "tvshows"? If you told it to use "tvshows", why would you expect it to use "TV shows"?

Ok, to be clear, as per my other posts earlier I renamed tv shows to tvshows and that fixed the problem of writing files to the folders. 

New problem is on disk 2 I have a folder tvshows (previously tv shows) with Farscape, Game of Thrones, Band of Brothers, Battlestar Galactica. 

I also have a disk 3 with tvshows with folders Stargate and MASH. 

On disk 5 I have tvshows with a folder Stargate Atlantis.

When I ran the import into JRiver it downloads cover art for each show and episode descriptions. It puts the jpgs in the folders as well as xml files with the episode details.  Now when running the program, it created tvshow folders on disk 5 for all the shows that are on disk 2 and 3.  So now on disk 5 I have

tvshows\Farscape

tvshows\Battlestar Galactica

tvshows\Band of Brothers

tvshows\MASH

etc etc

The mkv files are still in the proper folders in disk 2 and 3 but I'm curious why new folders were created on disk 5 in order to dump the jpegs and xml files? Why weren't they simply copied to the already existing folders on disk 2 and 3?

Hopefully that clarifies

Why weren't they simply copied to the already existing folders on disk 2 and 3?

Have you looked at the Help on User Share Settings? There is a Help button at the top right of the webUI. The Help button is a toggle, and if you turn it on it will stay on until you turn it off. While Help is on, the webUI will display explanations on each of its pages.

If you go to your tvshows share, there are several settings. Possibly you haven't made any specific settings for this share, so it will have default settings.

In addition to the settings for including and excluding disks for a user share, and controlling how and whether it uses the cache disk, there are 3 settings that control where files get written for a user share.

Study the Help for Split Level, Allocation Method, and Minimum Free and see if that answers your question.