VIDEO GUIDE - New method Install OSX Sierra without creating install media!!

I am sorry your sound is not working. It can be tricky getting it working. Have a look at some hackintosh sites and see how people there got same card working. Yours being a vm makes no difference and you can try their solutions.

No worries, I've looked through some other solutions but can't seem to get them to work either (they seem BIOS/MB specific)

Video works perfectly though, it's a shame.

On a side note I changed the ovmf resolution back to 1080 and the duplicate/small boot screen magically fixed itself  ???  :)

it appears the "user" in the qemu:arg denotes it as an isolated range, using a virtual dhcp server.

when i set it to "bridge" i get a helper error.

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: failed to parse default acl file `/etc/qemu/bridge.conf'
2017-01-17T03:05:40.642520Z qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev bridge,id=hub0port0: bridge helper failed

I did look into this and I was able to get the correct ip range working if I removed the bottom qemu commands and added

<interface type='bridge'>
<mac address='52:54:00:00:20:30'/>
<source bridge='br0'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
</interface>

The only problem was that the internet upload speed seems to be broken. I was reading through the developer's GitHub support pages and it looks like he was aware of most of these issue but hasn't updated anything for a few years. He even stated

I've got everything up and running on the repro system, VNC and scp work fine. (OK, scp only manages about 28MB/s over gigabit ethernet, but I don't want to start investigating performance issues while there are serious bugs out there; plus, I have a pretty good idea on how to improve performance)
Probably best to avoid this driver until someone smart enough to fix it updates it.

it appears the "user" in the qemu:arg denotes it as an isolated range, using a virtual dhcp server.

when i set it to "bridge" i get a helper error.

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: failed to parse default acl file `/etc/qemu/bridge.conf'
2017-01-17T03:05:40.642520Z qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev bridge,id=hub0port0: bridge helper failed

I did look into this and I was able to get the correct ip range working if I removed the bottom qemu commands and added

<source bridge='br0'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
</interface>

The only problem was that the internet upload speed seems to be broken. I was reading through the developer's GitHub support pages and it looks like he was aware of most of these issue but hasn't updated anything for a few years. He even stated

I've got everything up and running on the repro system, VNC and scp work fine. (OK, scp only manages about 28MB/s over gigabit ethernet, but I don't want to start investigating performance issues while there are serious bugs out there; plus, I have a pretty good idea on how to improve performance)
Probably best to avoid this driver until someone smart enough to fix it updates it.

Thank you for your help in looking into it! Back to passing through hardware to saturate gigabit...

No worries, I've looked through some other solutions but can't seem to get them to work either (they seem BIOS/MB specific)

On a side note I changed the ovmf resolution back to 1080 and the duplicate/small boot screen magically fixed itself  ???  :)

Response I'm getting on a Hackinstosh forum.

KVM virtual machine - "No ACPI tables, no audio support"

Would anyone know what this means? Obviously we know audio support can work as others here have it.

Would anyone know what this means? Obviously we know audio support can work as others here have it.

perhaps it is an issue with the web drivers. Nvidia says they are "experimental." Did you ever try passing through the card to the vm with only the mac drivers and then adding the hdmi kext? (this is the point were having a "base" install img is helpful so you don't have to recreate the vm every time.) I know you said it was glitchy before, but trying to eliminate variables.

perhaps it is an issue with the web drivers. Nvidia says they are "experimental." Did you ever try passing through the card to the vm with only the mac drivers and then adding the hdmi kext? (this is the point were having a "base" install img is helpful so you don't have to recreate the vm every time.) I know you said it was glitchy before, but trying to eliminate variables.

What can happen is on the gpu it can have a dispaly port out hdmi out and dvi out. Sound can be outputted to any of these ports. OSX may be outputting from the wrong port. If you use an hdmi it could be displaying your picture through that but not the sound.

I know i had a bit of trouble when i set up my 750 ti to get everything working. I have forgotten the steps i did now to be honest. I will have to set up another osx machine and passthrough that again and see what steps to use.

Nice guide gridrunner! I used it to finally upgrade from Yosemite (been very busy). I thought I would share a few things with the community.

I managed to get Virtio network working via https://github.com/pmj/virtio-net-osx/

1. Download the install file https://github.com/pmj/virtio-net-osx/raw/master/bin/Virtio-Net-Driver-0.9.4.pkg

2. Install the file on your Mac

3. Shutdown the VM

4. Remove your old network from your config

<source bridge='br0'/>
<model type='e1000-82545em'/>
</interface>

5. Add the Virtio code to your config under <qemu:commandline>

<qemu:arg value='-netdev'/>
<qemu:arg value='user,id=hub0port0'/>
<qemu:arg value='-device'/>
<qemu:arg value='virtio-net,netdev=hub0port0,id=eth0'/>
<qemu:arg value='-set'/>
<qemu:arg value='device.eth0.vectors=0'/>

6. Turn on your Mac VM and you should now have a virtio network (tested and working for me on 10.12 Sierra)

Also, the same developer managed to get Qemu's usb-tablet absolute pointing device working (meaning your mouse will work in any VNC session)

1. Download the install file http://philjordan.eu/osx-virt/

2. Install the file on your Mac

3. Shutdown the VM

4. Change the following code:

<qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>

5. to:

<qemu:arg value='usb-tablet'/>

6. Turn on your Mac VM and your mouse should follow in unRAID webVNC (tested and working for me on 10.12 Sierra)

Thanks, Archedraft. means a lot coming from you the guy that started all this OSX on unRAID!

I did play around with the USB-tablet driver before, but I find webVNC  doesn't work well for me, on any VM (osx, linux or windows). It kind of gets slower and less responsive the longer the VM is running. So I left it alone.

Jonp says there are some patches that sort this but unfortunately will not be in 6.3 :(  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53782.msg519312#msg519312

I was wondering though is there any reason you use

<qemu:arg value='usb-tablet'/>

rather than the standard bit the unRAID vm manager uses when adding VNC

<input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
    </input>

I am guessing because it is just easier to edit the existing qemu line?

If you use the VoodooPS2Controller.kext and the QemuUSBTablet.kext  you can get rid of all of these lines

<qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>

But i dont see any advantage to using the VoodooPS2Controller.kext and doing this. What do you think?

I have an issue which I find very annoying. On some boots I don't have network. I am guessing it is due to the mask

register not being setup before the pci interrupt is generated. But i thought by using the custom slot

stops this as then it isnt sharing the sata IRQ.

I dont remember having this problem when using seabios (but maybe i did) but seems to happen sometimes on OVMF. I can restart

the VM and it is fine or sometimes needs restarting a few times. I find this very annoying that the behaviour can change

without anything being changed. Do you have this issue at all on your VM?

I did originally try the audio when using Apples own drivers but I didn't' have any sound outputs listed then either.

I know i had a bit of trouble when i set up my 750 ti to get everything working. I have forgotten the steps i did now to be honest. I will have to set up another osx machine and passthrough that again and see what steps to use.

I'll keep an eye out in the future if you get chance to set that up.

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2017 at 9:58 PM, dome said:

It works with the older clover version, thank you very much :)

Hello, I have the same problem as you did, I tried using clover from this link. QEMU is checked in the clover config. What else should I try? 

If it helps I have attached the xml I have been using.

Thanks.

video.xml

• 1 month later...

@gridrunner thanks for another awesome vid!

I'm having a hell of a time getting this working though. Basically for some reason my VMs won't let me enter the OVMF bios when I restart the VM. Basically when I'm mashing the delete key I'll see the TianoCore logo then it will just continue on to Clover as if I didn't press anything. I have no idea why that might be, but it means I can't change the resolution, so any time I try to boot all I get is the apple logo then it gets super distorted and crashes. 

Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, psparks said:

@gridrunner thanks for another awesome vid!

I'm having a hell of a time getting this working though. Basically for some reason my VMs won't let me enter the OVMF bios when I restart the VM. Basically when I'm mashing the delete key I'll see the TianoCore logo then it will just continue on to Clover as if I didn't press anything. I have no idea why that might be, but it means I can't change the resolution, so any time I try to boot all I get is the apple logo then it gets super distorted and crashes. 

Any thoughts?

Are you using vnc graphics when trying to enter the ovmf or are you using a real keyboard and passed through gpu.

make sure you boot to clover then on clover goto restart computer then keep pressing delete you should just go straight

into ovmf setup

I'm using VNC and I've tried it on my laptop and using a passed through keyboard on the server and nothing seems to do it. Super odd. 

My only thought is that I might have done some editing or changes to the OVMF_VARS and OVMF_CODE files when following your tutorial for the nvme passthrough of windows vm. I just don't remember what those changes where, or if that would even have an effect. I'll go back and rewatch that video now.

53 minutes ago, psparks said:

I'm using VNC and I've tried it on my laptop and using a passed through keyboard on the server and nothing seems to do it. Super odd. 

My only thought is that I might have done some editing or changes to the OVMF_VARS and OVMF_CODE files when following your tutorial for the nvme passthrough of windows vm. I just don't remember what those changes where, or if that would even have an effect. I'll go back and rewatch that video now.

Just a thought. If your laptop is a mac you are remoting with. To press 'delete' you must press function and backspace on the mac.