unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds good Joe, but what does it offer that isn't in the unraid_notify addon that's available from the wiki?

Also if it's only checking once per hour, isn't that a long time to wait if one of your drives gets hot just after the last check? I think unraid notify polls once a minute or something, and is configurable.

If both addons are doing similar things would we be better off only having the best one of the two (whichever that is) available so end users don't get confused and there's less duplication of work?

Just some thoughts, and please don't take it in a negative way as I'm very impressed with all your work on the package manager so far!

Justin

They are similar, but the "at" command requires a true executable program as "mail" so I never bothered to install "unraid notify" and in fact stopped using my own shell script based mail solution in favor of the "mailx" solution. It allows me to get mail from "at" and "cron" jobs.

A check once an hour for the array status is enough for me... as there are plenty of times when I don't check my mail for at least that long.

(I hardly ever check it when I'm sleeping, and frequently I sleep for periods of 2 hours or more  ;D)

Your point is a good one though, as some people will send a message to their phone.  Currently, the package creates the script in cron.hourly.  If I create it instead in /boot/custom/bin then it can be invoked by any script or schedule desired at any frequency desired.  (I personally did not want an e-mail per minute if the array is re-computing parity, or stopped while I do something)

You can choose whichever add-ons you like.  These are the ones I use.  I un-bundled the "mail" program from the "e-mail status message" program so you can use anything you like to send status e-mail.  Perhaps the author of unraid_notify can think of doing the same.  Then we can get a mail command that works with everything AND minute-by-minute status.  Or... (perhaps even better) I can create a separate cron entry for the script in my package so you can specify the schedule rather than using the cron.hourly feature that is built into Slackware.

For newbies to linux, the idea of using input fields for configuration of features is a lot more attractive than editing files. It is why I created the new package manager version.  I certainly don't need input fields, but they sure make it easy, even for me.

If you are concerned about duplication of work... don't worry.  I had a mail solution in place way before unraid_nofity.  unraid_nofity eventually became able to handle an SSL connection, so it was needed for many users where my original script could not be used. 

Now, we just have more options.  I'm trading a larger program (the mailx package) for more flexibility and integration with the Linux tools.  unraid_notify is much smaller, and provides a subset of capabilities, but plenty enough for most users.  You get to choose which you prefer.

Besides... my feelings about your negative comments will eventually heal...  ;)

Ok... I'm over it, you are forgiven..  ;D

Joe L.

Now, we just have more options.  I'm trading a larger program (the mailx package) for more flexibility and integration with the Linux tools.   unraid_notify is much smaller, and provides a subset of capabilities, but plenty enough for most users.  You get to choose which you prefer.

Speaking of which, let me share with you my idea of an alert system that I've been working on latley.

This probably deserves a separate thread, and it will get one when it's ready. I just want to run this by you real quick.

I have a simple alert notifier that looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
touch /var/log/alertlog

tail -F /var/log/alertlog | while read alert ; do
 mail -s $alert
done

Then I have a bunch of independantly running watcher modules, which monitor for bad things that can happen.

So far I have the following modules:

watcher.syslog_errors

watcher.disk_temperature

watcher.fan_rotation

watcher.logins

watcher.array_status

watcher.ups_status

watcher.powerdown

...and more are cooking.

Let's give a couple of examples of how simple those watchers are.

watcher.array_status

#!/bin/bash

while true ; do
 sleep 600
 if ! [ `cat /proc/mdcmd |grep -a mdState |cut -d= -f2` = "STARTED" ] ; then
   echo "`date` The array is not started." >> /var/log/alertlog
 fi
done

watcher.powerdown

#!/bin/bash
# softlinked as -->  /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.notification

if [ "$1" = "stop" ] ; then
 echo "`date` The server is going for powerdown." >> /var/log/alertlog
fi

You can have any scripts of your own, watching for watever condition you want,

and if they want to alert for that condition, and all they have to do is write a line to:  >> /var/log/alertlog

What do you think about an alert system like this?

I like the concept, but your example code will limit alerts to a single line per mail (or rather will send multiple mail message if a multi-line-message is logged)

I'd like the concept you illustrated, but with the ability to have multiple line messages.

Joe L.

I like the concept, but your example code will limit alerts to a single line per mail (or rather will send multiple mail message if a multi-line-message is logged)

I'd like the concept you illustrated, but with the ability to have multiple line messages.

Joe L.

Joe, I just showed a the bare bone skeleton to see if you'll like it.  I omitted some features as not to distract you.

These alerts get mailed to you only when bad stuff happens. You may not get any alerts fot 18 months, and then a single line will be enough to get you running.  A single line may be convinient when the email you set up goes to the SMS forwarder of your cell phone company.

As for multiple lines, any watcher can append multiple lines to '/var/log/alertlog', and they all will be mailed together.(see the buffer below)

What I have on my computer as work in progress, the notifier mails the alert(s) along with a tail of your syslog. More ideas will come, I'm sure. My primary goal though is to keep it as simple as possible, and to provide for an easy way for other watcher scripts to hook to this.

Also, let's say you don't want to get emails less than say 10 minutes apart.  I've implemented a configurable option for that, and also a buffer for all alerts that may come in between. All the accumulated alerts, if any, will be mailed together in the next mail, no earlier that 10 minutes later.

I have a question on unMenu. Does it pull its date and time settings from the regular unRAID settings?

For example, last night Daylight Savings Time started for me on the East Coast of the US. Does NTP automatically adjust for that somehow or I do need to manually go into the unRAID settings and change GMT+5 to GMT+6 and this will get inherited by unMenu?

Thx!

I have a question on unMenu. Does it pull its date and time settings from the regular unRAID settings?

For example, last night Daylight Savings Time started for me on the East Coast of the US. Does NTP automatically adjust for that somehow or I do need to manually go into the unRAID settings and change GMT+5 to GMT+6 and this will get inherited by unMenu?

Thx!

If you installed a timezone file on the unRAID server it would handle it automatically.  If you set the timezone using the GMT+ entries, then you have to do it yourself.

It has been reported the down-loadable timezone files on lime-technologies page do not work, but those in this post will:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5231.msg51984#msg51984

Download, unzip on your PC, copy the one for your time-zone to the config folder on your flash drive renamed as "timezone"

Change the "time-zone" setting on the Settings page from GMT+5 to "custom" and press apply.  (it might take effect immediately,  but you might need to reboot)

When you reboot it will take over and automatically keep in sync with daylight savings time.

edit: Added line to select the custom time-zone

Hi Joe First of great software tool thank you

Question I'm new to all this and really like the unraid setup good choice on my side...in my sys log i am getting some errors not sure what they mean all seems to be working fine and it might be since i install the new supermicro card I'm using your beta ver. of unmenu errors are as follows

Mar 14 09:16:34 unraid kernel: mdcmd (285): spindown 1

Mar 14 09:16:34 unraid kernel: mdcmd (286): spindown 2

Mar 14 09:16:35 unraid kernel: mdcmd (287): spindown 3

Mar 14 09:16:36 unraid kernel: mdcmd (288): spindown 4

Mar 14 09:16:37 unraid kernel: mdcmd (289): spindown 5

Mar 14 09:29:56 unraid ata_id[7245]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:64'

Mar 14 09:29:56 unraid ata_id[7257]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:48'

Mar 14 09:29:56 unraid ata_id[7269]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 14 09:29:56 unraid ata_id[7290]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:96'

Mar 14 09:29:56 unraid ata_id[7299]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:80'

Any input would be great thanks

lou

If you installed a timezone file on the unRAID server it would handle it automatically.  If you set the timezone using the GMT+ entries, then you have to do it yourself.

It has been reported the down-loadable timezone files on lime-technologies page do not work, but those in this post will:

Download, unzip on your PC, copy the one for your time-zone to the config folder on your flash drive renamed as "timezone"

Change the "time-zone" setting on the Settings page from GMT+5 to "custom" and press apply.  (it might take effect immediately,  but you might need to reboot)

When you reboot it will take over and automatically keep in sync with daylight savings time.

I'm sorry, but I'm absolutely confused by what it is I am supposed to do. I downloaded the file and copied it to the custom\timezone subdirectory. I don't see a custom option and I don't know where I am supposed to enter those commands. Is it at the command line? Is it a file? Is it in the go script?

I'm sorry, but I'm absolutely confused by what it is I am supposed to do. I downloaded the file and copied it to the custom\timezone subdirectory. I don't see a custom option and I don't know where I am supposed to enter those commands. Is it at the command line? Is it a file? Is it in the go script?

It's a zip file with many timezone files in it.  Unzip the file someplace - say your desktop.  Now open the folder it created and find the file appropriate for you.  Mine was Timezone\US\Arizona.  Copy this file to \\tower\flash\config and rename it timezone.

Now got to http://tower/settings.htm, scroll down to date and time and choose custom from the time zone drop down.

Download the file to your PC, not the unRAID server.

Unzip the file on your PC. In it will be many many time-zone files, one per possible location. Choose one file for a city near your location (or rather, in the same time-zone)

Copy that one file to a FILE named timezone in the config folder on your flash drive.  You will need to remove the directory you create timezone to do that.  the directory is not correct and not needed, in fact, it will prevent you from copying the file there.  Remember, when you are done, there will be one more file in the config folder on your flash drive, it will be named "timezone" (lower case, no extension... not the full zip file, but a copy of one of the files you unzipped from within it on your PC.)

Then, on the "Settigs" page on unRAID, choose "custom" as the time-zone instead of GMT+5/6 as you currently have it.  Press Apply.

You need to remove the timezone directory you created on your flash drive first. It is wrong.

Ok, I'm obviously confused. This is what I did. I downloaded several files to my PC.

I unzipped a variety of them to my PC.

The one I wound up copying was Joe L.'s file that he said was for ET. It was already named "timezone". I copied it to my custom directory. There was an etc subdirectory but nothing else.

I have no timezone subdirectory or file to delete in the custom subdirectory.

I have no options in the settings page to select Custom. All of my options are numbers like +/- something.

Ok, I'm obviously confused. This is what I did. I downloaded several files to my PC.

The one I wound up copying was Joe L.'s file that he said was for ET. It was already named "timezone". I copied it to my custom directory.

My single file named "timezone" will work since you are in the same time-zone as me.

However, I said copy it to the config folder on your flash drive, not the custom folder.

I then said on the management web-interface, on the "settings" page, choose "custom" for the time-zone instead of GMT+5. Once you have a "timezone" file present in the config folder on the flash drive, that additional choice should be present in the drop-down-list on the settings page.

The one I wound up copying was Joe L.'s file that he said was for ET. It was already named "timezone". I copied it to my custom directory.

My single file named "timezone" will work since you are in the same time-zone as me.

However, I said copy it to the config folder on your flash drive, not the custom folder.

I then said on the management web-interface, on the "settings" page, choose "custom" for the time-zone instead of GMT+5. Once you have a "timezone" file present in the config folder on the flash drive, that additional choice should be present in the drop-down-list on the settings page.

Blah...sorry my bad. Thx! I can select custom now. I think I need to reboot as you indicated. Now if I can actually learn to read. Thanks again for your help and patience.

ETA: Seems to have taken hold while I was waiting to reboot. So it doesn't appear to need a reboot. Thx.

ETA: Seems to have taken hold while I was waiting to reboot. So it doesn't appear to need a reboot. Thx.

You can always go reboot your windows machine if you'll feel better. :)

Hah! Maybe I'll actually make it past a week of uptime without tinkering or restarting unRAID for awhile.

You can always go reboot your windows machine if you'll feel better. :)

Hah! Maybe I'll actually make it past a week of uptime without tinkering or restarting unRAID for awhile.

You'll find this interesting, but if you make a stupid programming error you can use up all your memory and all swap and find it easiest to reboot just to get back to normal (because the kernel-out-of-memory process started killing off processes that had been idle the longest... like emhttp, smbd, nmbd)

Not to say I made a stupid programming error, but I know this can happen... (and I rebooted twice last week before I found my stupid recursive process loop)

Typically Linux systems run for months before needing to be rebooted.... unlike Windows.  (about three BSOD last week alone from Vista on my laptop... and when I send the error report to Microsoft it says the fix is in SP1... but I have it already installed... argh...)

I'm seeing a lot of these messages in my logs:

Mar 14 20:56:49 Serenity unmenu[26604]: df: `/boot': No such file or directory

Mar 14 20:57:49 Serenity last message repeated 2 times

Mar 14 20:59:16 Serenity last message repeated 3 times

Mar 14 21:00:17 Serenity last message repeated 2 times

Mar 14 21:01:50 Serenity last message repeated 3 times

I'm not sure if they're anything to worry about?

I'm seeing a lot of these messages in my logs:

Mar 14 20:56:49 Serenity unmenu[26604]: df: `/boot': No such file or directory

Mar 14 20:57:49 Serenity last message repeated 2 times

Mar 14 20:59:16 Serenity last message repeated 3 times

Mar 14 21:00:17 Serenity last message repeated 2 times

Mar 14 21:01:50 Serenity last message repeated 3 times

I'm not sure if they're anything to worry about?

Yes... I'd expect /boot to always be there.  It is your flash drive.

What happens when you type

df

root@Serenity:~# df

df: `/boot': No such file or directory

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/md4             1953454928 338611760 1614843168  18% /mnt/disk4

/dev/md2             1953454928 599116408 1354338520  31% /mnt/disk2

/dev/md1             1953454928     32840 1953422088   1% /mnt/disk1

/dev/md3             1953454928 539574484 1413880444  28% /mnt/disk3

shfs                 7813819712 1477335492 6336484220  19% /mnt/user

root@Serenity:~#

root@Serenity:/# ls 

/bin/ls: cannot access boot: No such file or directory

bin/  dev/  home/  lib/  proc/  sbin/  tmp/  var/

boot/  etc/  init@  mnt/  root/  sys/  usr/

root@Serenity:/# pwd

/

root@Serenity:/#

This doesn't look good.

root@Serenity:~# df

df: `/boot': No such file or directory

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/md4             1953454928 338611760 1614843168  18% /mnt/disk4

/dev/md2             1953454928 599116408 1354338520  31% /mnt/disk2

/dev/md1             1953454928     32840 1953422088   1% /mnt/disk1

/dev/md3             1953454928 539574484 1413880444  28% /mnt/disk3

shfs                 7813819712 1477335492 6336484220  19% /mnt/user

root@Serenity:~#

root@Serenity:/# ls   

/bin/ls: cannot access boot: No such file or directory

bin/   dev/  home/  lib/  proc/  sbin/  tmp/  var/

boot/  etc/  init@  mnt/  root/  sys/   usr/

root@Serenity:/# pwd

/

root@Serenity:/#

This doesn't look good.

You are overdue for posting a syslog.  You have some interesting issues.  As of now you will not be able to stop the array cleanly since the stopped state is written to /boot/config/super.dat.  And it is not there since /boot is not there.

Post a syslog before you reboot... it might have clues as to what has happened.  When you reboot expect a full parity check is needed when you come back online. 

Your flash drive might have died, or been dislodged, but even those should have left the /boot mount point, so I'm confused. (but so is your server)

Joe L.