Permissions change & prevents me deleting

WannabeMKII

• 2 months later...

I wanted to update this topic, as I now have a pattern of the problem, but still unsure how to resolve.

So I have TV shows and films added to Plex where Plex sits on the different machine and accesses the Plex share. When I finish watching a TV show or film, I delete them through Plex. This is where things get strange. TV show's delete perfectly without any problems, but films don't due to the permission change.

Another thing I noticed is that if I don't watch a film in Plex and decide to delete it, it'll delete no problems, but if I watch or start to watch a film, I then lose the ability to delete due to the permissions changing.

It's just so odd that it's fine with TV shows whether they've been viewed or not, but it'll only allow me to delete films if I've not viewed them.

So it appears that as soon as I watch a film (not TV), something is changing the permission and therefore stopping me deleting it through Plex.

Anyone any ideas?

• 1 year later...

Hey @WannabeMKII - sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but I showed up here as I was also having issues with permissions etc and found great CLI stuff from earlier! 

Regarding your last question there, I had a similar problem not long ago where TV shows and movies kept getting bad permission sets.  Turns out for me, it was actually the management apps that were doing it, specifically Sonarr and Radarr.  On both programs under Settings->Media Management->Advanced there is the Permissions section at the bottom. 

I was always wary of that section due to the yellow caution flag, but I manually set the permissions as:image.png.5d1d1382858ffabb0f498d084f3840bf.png

Happily, all my recurring were solved! 

Hope you found an answer to your problem in the last year, but maybe this also helps else that finds this thread down the line.

Archived