Windows Explorer (Not Responding)

Has anyone else seen this.

When using the Tower in Windows Explorer sometimes it freezes and then it says Not Responding in the Windows Explorer title bar.

In about a minute it comes back and works fine.

What could be causing this?

Could it be waiting for your disks to spin up?

My disks are set to never spin down.

It will happen right after I was using the drives.

I would guess then it was waiting for something on the LAN ? ? ?  Other activity?  A missed response packet on the LAN?  Faulty wiring? 

I see "Not Responding" on various programs all the time on my Vista PC... even when not doing anything with my unRAID server.  Windows is not a multi-tasking operating system... One program can hog it and keep it from doing anything else. They must cooperatively give up the CPU, and if they do not, the whole PC locks up.

How many files are in the folder you are looking at?  On my server it seems more likely to do that when there are a lot of files in the folder.  I have one folder with over 50,000 files in it, and whenever I try to open this folder I know this behavior will always happen.  Smaller folders, the behavior seems more random.  I've also been told before that this type of responsiveness slows down when all your drives are nearing being full.  I've seen this behavior in action.  I don't know if you plan on adding more drives soon, but I'd be curious to see if things speed up for you when you add another drive. 

I've seen this when I initiate a copy from my Windows Vista x64 PC to my UnRAID server via Windows Explorer.  It seems to take an inordinate amount of time to begin copying files and sometimes I get the not responding error during the copy or the retry option.  I guess I'd like to know what is considered the best way to transfer files from a Windows PC to the UnRAID server??  I'm sure Windows Explorer is low on the list but I have no idea what is better in terms of speed and data integrity?!

EDIT:  Just found this thread:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0 which indicates Total Commander works well.  Will give it a try.

EDIT 2:  With Total Commander I'm getting a write protection error on one of my UnRAID drives?!  It says to remove the write protection...any thoughts?

With Total Commander I'm getting a write protection error... ...any thoughts?

TeraCopy.

Wow thank you! TeraCopy kicks serious butt over Total Commander...

Total Commander has worked just *ok* for me in the past, so I didn't really use it, and switched over to FTP.

I spent the day transferring many GB of data, using filezilla / vsftpd.. but it was very slow, only 4MB/s on my 1Gbps Lan. Additionally, I was trying to create an MD5 sum for the entire set of files, and it was slowing down disk access, and overall was going to take 10-12hrs+.

TeraCopy is utilizing my network now at 95MB/s AND performing the CRC calc/check at the same time, estimated time now only 6hrs!

This is the ultimate solution, thanks for pointing it out!

It's humming away so hard, my case is rattling from the HDD vibrations, I've never heard it run like that before.

Edit, sorry this information is not 100% correct, I did see the 95MB/s rate when TeraCopy was performing the CRC verification, this could be the *read* speed coming from the unraid server.

I actually get a file copy/write speed of anywhere between 21MB/s all the way down to about 6MB/s depending on the file size.

Also, I make sure that my computer is not doing any other harddrive activity, and my unraid server was not doing anything else.

I posted more info below.

With Total Commander I'm getting a write protection error... ...any thoughts?

TeraCopy.

Wow thank you! TeraCopy kicks serious butt over Total Commander...

Total Commander has worked just *ok* for me in the past, so I didn't really use it, and switched over to FTP.

I spent the day transferring many GB of data, using filezilla / vsftpd.. but it was very slow, only 4MB/s on my 1Gbps Lan. Additionally, I was trying to create an MD5 sum for the entire set of files, and it was slowing down disk access, and overall was going to take 10-12hrs+.

TeraCopy is utilizing my network now at 95MB/s AND performing the CRC calc/check at the same time, estimated time now only 6hrs!

This is the ultimate solution, thanks for pointing it out!

It's humming away so hard, my case is rattling from the HDD vibrations, I've never heard it run like that before.

It would be interesting to know HOW this is happening... maybe some of it can be used to Tune unRAID itself?? 

Hey Guys,

sorry I reported my information too early (didn't realize what TeraCopy was doing)..

So Here's the numbers I've seen after using it for 8 hours..

CRC Check, the test it does at the end, after copying the was running at 95MB/s

File copy of large files (ISO's etc) was running at 19MB/s (on average)

File copy of many small files was running at 6MB/s-21MB/s (on average)

I get these messages from the title bar in TeraCopy, it reports the speed there. But I also look at the network utilization in the TaskManager and it was up to 16% utilization. Before utilization was only 1%.

My unraid is not optimized in any way and I don't use a cache drive. I would need to replace my motherboard/cpu/ram to bypass the IDE bus. I have a mixed bag of ide/sata-I/sata-II drives, all connected to the IDE bus through IDE connectors and PCI Sata adapter cards.

But still, this is a huge improvement for me.