v6 on Atom D525

I am now 30 minutes into a parity check and the hottest drive is 46*.

Fans at 100%, louder than the originals but tolerable.  I would not want to sit next to these at 100% though. 

If i turn them down even slightly they are nearly the same perceived volume as the old ones and the drives settle at 48 :)

For now I am skipping the noctua pwm speed controller and powering both via a sata to 4pin pwm fan power adapter

FANTASTIC recommendation garycase.  Thank you 

Edited by landS

So I upgraded my board from a Atom D525 to a Xeon D 1521. Parity checks are in the 110's and I still have sub-par file transfer speeds even with a SSD cache, but overall I'm happy.

I do have this perfectly good Supermicro D525 mITX board sitting in a box and I would be happy to sell it dirt cheap to any forum members that have a use for it...

37 minutes ago, Smitty2k1 said:

Parity checks are in the 110's and I still have sub-par file transfer speeds

Nice bump in parity check speeds; but it's interesting that you're getting "sub-par" transfers.   What kind of transfer speeds are you seeing?    What's your disk complement? 

37 minutes ago, Smitty2k1 said:

While I'm not interested I can confirm this is a rock-solid little board that draws very low power (idles under 20w) and although I wouldn't recommend it for a new UnRAID server, if somebody just needs a basic NAS, doesn't need the fastest transfer speeds, and doesn't care about the long parity checks, then it's not a bad choice.    FYI the most recent "sold listings" for this board on e-bay were $42.09 and $59.00, so there IS at least a bit of a market for it.

8 hours ago, garycase said:

Nice bump in parity check speeds; but it's interesting that you're getting "sub-par" transfers.   What kind of transfer speeds are you seeing?    What's your disk complement? 

While I'm not interested I can confirm this is a rock-solid little board that draws very low power (idles under 20w) and although I wouldn't recommend it for a new UnRAID server, if somebody just needs a basic NAS, doesn't need the fastest transfer speeds, and doesn't care about the long parity checks, then it's not a bad choice.    FYI the most recent "sold listings" for this board on e-bay were $42.09 and $59.00, so there IS at least a bit of a market for it.

For some reason if I copy a file from one user share to another, it transfers at 30-50MB/sec even though it physically winds up on the SSD cache. I've tried using things like Krusader and Midnight Commander in addition to just dragging and dropping files in Windows.

If I take a file on one network computer (SSD) and transfer it to unraid via Windows drag-and-drop it maxes out the gigabit Ethernet connection 4 out of 5 times or so. Occasionally it also decides to transfer at 30-50MB/sec.

Good to know about the Ebay listings. Probably worth putting it up there. I've even got a little 2GB stick of RAM to go with it.