unRAID 6.3.0 updating to 6.3.1 stuck on Sync Filesystems

JohnnyT

I issued powerdown -r and am waiting to see what it does. Hoping I do not have to do another parity check, it takes 36 hours with 8tb drives :-(

root@davidFlix:~# powerdown -r

Broadcast message from root@davidFlix (pts/1) (Thu Feb  9 10:29:59 2017):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

Regarding powerdown vs poweroff, straight from the horse's mouth:

Note that /usr/local/sbin/powerdown is a script that just invokes either /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff and has been deprecated.

'powerdown' is a script formerly used by webGui/emhttp to initiate a gracefull power off or reboot.  The problem is that in it's original form, 'powerdown' relied on emhttp process to sequence the operation, but there were cases where this could not happen or proceeded very slowly.  Ultimately the system commands 'poweroff' or 'reboot' were finally invoked to complete the operation.

Anyway, the whole shutdown/poweroff/reboot operation was re-coded a couple releases ago so that now the "stock" linux reboot and poweroff commands work properly to execute a "clean" reboot or poweroff, or at least time-out in a reasonable amount of time (before battery dies in UPS hopefully).

The point is you should use /sbin/poweroff instead of 'powerdown' or '/usr/local/sbin/powerdown' in your 'at' job.

Regarding powerdown vs poweroff, straight from the horse's mouth:

Note that /usr/local/sbin/powerdown is a script that just invokes either /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff and has been deprecated.

'powerdown' is a script formerly used by webGui/emhttp to initiate a gracefull power off or reboot.  The problem is that in it's original form, 'powerdown' relied on emhttp process to sequence the operation, but there were cases where this could not happen or proceeded very slowly.  Ultimately the system commands 'poweroff' or 'reboot' were finally invoked to complete the operation.

Anyway, the whole shutdown/poweroff/reboot operation was re-coded a couple releases ago so that now the "stock" linux reboot and poweroff commands work properly to execute a "clean" reboot or poweroff, or at least time-out in a reasonable amount of time (before battery dies in UPS hopefully).

The point is you should use /sbin/poweroff instead of 'powerdown' or '/usr/local/sbin/powerdown' in your 'at' job.

muscle memory... (and LT can deprecate it as much as they want.  truth be told is that the community is so used to issuing powerdown commands that they will always keep the script)  powerdown actually calls reboot / poweroff to do its thing

#!/bin/bash
logger "/usr/local/sbin/powerdown has been deprecated"
if [[ "$1" == "-r" ]]; then
  /sbin/reboot
else
  /sbin/poweroff
fi

Who looks at diagnostics?  ???

Someone other than me has also downloaded it. Hardly surprising, I suppose. This is a community of data hoarders.  ;D

You're correct.. The syslog is a nightmare full of OOM's  And with all that going on who knows the side effects. 

If the powerdown (don't care LT -> I'll keep saying that til my dying day)doesn't work then a hard reset is basically the only recourse

That's the big question. Some OOMs are fairly obvious when people try to do too much with too little RAM - and unRAID doesn't use swap space by default. But recent releases seem to be more prone than others. There's a theory about memory fragmentation but I don't know. I thought with 64-bit addressing it's all mapped and managed anyway.

Your syslog has been HUPed so the problems are already happening when it starts. It's impossible even to guess.