Connect to server on second network.

Bartimaeuse

So i have a setup where i dont have any way to run a cable from the main house router to my PC or server.

What I have done is use a TP Link AC1750 router to setup a wireless bridge using WDS, my desktop is plugged into the TP Link router and connects to the internet just fine, however I am not able to see my unraid server that is plugged into the same router..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your desktop picked up an external public IP, probably your ISP modem is only programmed to give out one IP, subsequent devices asking for a DHCP address are denied, which in this case was a good thing, as unraid isn't protected from attack. Hopefully your desktop has a good firewall.

Without a comprehensive description of your current layout of network devices and configuration I can't really recommend how to fix the issue, but suffice it to say you never want your unraid server to have a public IP.

I can speculate that what has happened is that when you bridged the two routers, you disabled the NAT function in your house router, causing the only dhcp server available on the network to be directly on your ISP device, which handed out a single public IP.

Also, since you are using WDS, I assume you have a TP-Link as the main router as well, since attempting to do WDS across two routers from different manufactures result in a weird situation where the first device powered up on the secondary router can get an IP address. But the succeeding devices get rejected until the first device has been disconnected for a while.

Archived