[Resolved] 5 Errors After Every Parity Check

I will be switching out the motherboard for a newer chipset with 3 PCIex16 slots instead of the current board which has 2, this allows me to add my 4 ports NIC.

Make sure they are true x16 slots. My Mobo has 3 full length slots; the first one is x16 only if nothing is installed in #2; then both are x8 on each slot. Slot 3 only operates at x4.... No way to get 2 HBAs and a decent graphics card installed without a bottleneck somewhere. grrr...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

ATA errors are gone, ACPI errors can usually be ignored, bios update may help some.

Problem is that the bad cable corrupted your cache pool...

Ok, I followed your instructions and was able to backup the cache drive; cleared the partition on both, add them back into the pool and restore the data.

No errors now, per say, just the ACPI warnings; sadly the mobo is EOL, so I'm afraid I have the latest BIOS dated 11/09/2012.

Again, SAS2LP is not installed and the on-board Marvell controller has been disabled in the BIOS.

The tunables entries have been adjusted per your suggestions

I am going to start the parity checks now and will post the results.

Thank you again for everything!

UPDATE: I ran 2 parity checks, with a reboot in between each and I'm happy to report there were 0 errors on both checks!

So I believe the issue has been finally resolved!  YAY!! 8)

However, with the old configuration, a typical parity check took around 8 or so hours to complete @ about 125MB/s

Now the parity checks are taking almost 12 hours at about 80MB/s or 90MB/s. I noticed a speed drop using MC too.

Could it be that the tunables entries need to be adjusted? Or is it that it will be slower now that the parity drives are on the Mobo SATA II controller? Would Turbo mode be worth a consideration?

Tunable (enable NCQ): No

Tunable (nr_requests): 128 default

Tunable (md_num_stripes): 4096 user-set
Tunable (md_sync_window): 2048 user-set
Tunable (md_sync_thresh): 2000 user-set

Edited by Joseph
5 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Could it be that the tunables entries need to be adjusted? Or is it that it will be slower now that the parity drives are on the Mobo SATA II controller? Would Turbo mode be worth a consideration?

Tunables I posted are not optimized for your setup, but they are usually good for most configs, you should run the tunables tester when available for >v6.2.

SATA2 is enough for current HDDs, turbo mode will help with writing speed, not parity checks.

LSI usually performs same or better than the SAS2LP, strange yours slowed down considerably, is the controller in the same slot as the old one? is it on a CPU slot (one of the top 2 slots)?

On 4/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, Joseph said:

forgot to mention right before shutdown this last time, I noticed a line that flashed on the screen quickly that I think said ACPI error. What effect on unRAID would it have? How can errors on shutdown be captured for analysis?

re: my post from last week, here's the actual shutdown error I have. I think it has something to do with the UPS. Anyone have thoughts on how to fix?

IMG_3422.JPG

6 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Tunables I posted are not optimized for your setup, but they are usually good for most configs, you should run the tunables tester when available for >v6.2.

SATA2 is enough for current HDDs, turbo mode will help with writing speed, not parity checks.

LSI usually performs same or better than the SAS2LP, strange yours slowed down considerably, is the controller in the same slot as the old one? is it on a CPU slot (one of the top 2 slots)?

Currently it is in Slot #2.

I only have 3 slots, Slot #1, I have an el-cheapo gpu, but plan to use for a better one for VMs soon. Slot #2 is the LSI. In this config, the lanes are on 1 & 2 are 8x.

Slot #3, is a 4x lane only slot. I am going to have to buy another H310 so I can have all drive cages connected. Not sure the best way to have all 3 installed.

Edited by Joseph
3 hours ago, Joseph said:

Slot #3, is a 4x lane only slot. I am going to have to buy another H310 so I can have all drive cages connected. Not sure the best way to have all 3 installed.

Best would be the other CPU slot, but if you're using it for a GPU you'll need to used the bottom slot, not ideal not only because it's x4 but mostly because it will share the usable bandwidth, about 1500MB/s, between that controller and the onboard SATA ports.

Post the output of:

lspci -vv -d 1000:*

To confirm the LSI is linking at the correct speed.

12 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Post the output of:

lspci -vv -d 1000:*

Here it is... I see an I/O error. Thoughts?

02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA Adapter
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
    Region 0: I/O ports at e000
    Region 1: Memory at f6e40000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Region 3: Memory at f6e00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Expansion ROM at f6d00000 [disabled]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    Capabilities: [68] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
        DevCap:    MaxPayload 4096 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
            ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+ SlotPowerLimit 0.000W
        DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
            RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
            MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
        DevSta:    CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
            ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp-
        LnkCtl:    ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
            ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
        LnkSta:    Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
        DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported
        DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled
        LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
             Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
             Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
        LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-
             EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-
    Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: Input/output error
        Not readable

Capabilities: [a8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
    Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=15 Masked-
        Vector table: BAR=1 offset=0000e000
        PBA: BAR=1 offset=0000f800
    Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
        UESta:    DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
        UEMsk:    DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
        UESvrt:    DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
        CESta:    RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
        CEMsk:    RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
        AERCap:    First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
    Capabilities: [138 v1] Power Budgeting <?>
    Kernel driver in use: mpt3sas
    Kernel modules: mpt3sas

Edited by Joseph
16 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Best would be the other CPU slot, but if you're using it for a GPU you'll need to used the bottom slot, not ideal not only because it's x4 but mostly because it will share the usable bandwidth, about 1500MB/s, between that controller and the onboard SATA ports.

What are your thoughts of not using any of the on-board SATA ports and use this configuration:

Slot 1 (x8 speed): Dell H310 #1

Slot 2 (x8 speed): Dell H310 #2

Slot 4 (x4 speed): GPU <~~~ I suppose this means the Nvidia GTX 1060 is out of the question due to physical size (space constraints) and limited lanes? :( Is there a card that would work for VM gaming?

Edited by Joseph
3 hours ago, Joseph said:

What are your thoughts of not using any of the on-board SATA ports and use this configuration:

Slot 1 (x8 speed): Dell H310 #1

Slot 2 (x8 speed): Dell H310 #2

Slot 4 (x4 speed): GPU <~~~ I suppose this means the Nvidia GTX 1060 is out of the question due to physical size (space constraints) and limited lanes? :( Is there a card that would work for VM gaming?

No real experience with that so difficult to offer advice.