Help with Parity drive

jjackstar

Hi all,

Im having some issues assigning a parity drive in unraid, the drives are as follows

- 3x 4tb segate barracuda

- 1x 2tb segate barracuda

- 1x sandisk ssd (used for cahe) 

I would like to use one of the 4tb as the parity drive and have the other 2 in a "safe" way that if one of them dies it can rebuild. As for the 2Tb that was just going to be used on its own for VMs and a Plex drive. any help would be much appreciated.

It appears to have a simple solution.  Assign one of the 4TB drives as the parity.  Assign the other HD's as data drives in the array.  Assign the ssd as the cache drive.  Start array.   You will then have a server with 9TB of data storage space that if any one of the data drives fails, the data can be rebuilt on a replacement drive.  Dockers (Plex) and any VM's are stored on the cache drive. (The ssd is the fastest drive and that is the situation you want for your Dockers and VM's.)

I would guess that one (or more) of your drives has a small partition written on it that contains the BIOS of your MB.  (Often called HPA.   This was a 'feature' of Gigabyte a few years ago.  If you have one of their MB's, you might want to search the BIOS and see if you can turn it off...)

I searched for the the unRAID forum for instructions to remove it but I couldn't find them.  You can find a number of articles using Google and the search expression  'removing hpa from hard drive' and see if you want to try one of them.  Or,  you could try each of the other two drives until you find one that will work as the parity drive. 

If that doesn't work, then post up the diagnostics file (    'Tools'   >>>  'Diagnostics'     ) with your next post.

Archived