[Solved] Please Review My Diagnostics for Windows 7 Connection Issues

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this topic.  From reviewing your logs, I see a number of mount requests rejected but those appear to be NFS related.  Are you using NFS shares in addition to SMB?  Just curious.  What happens if you try to connect to the server by IP address instead of by hostname?

I am using NFS shares.  I have a popcorn hour media player that connects using NFS.  That is connecting just fine.  Not sure what the rejected mount requests were about.

If I try connecting by IP/share it does not see the server, it does not connect.  I can open a CMD in windows and ping via IP and hostname.  I have verified my workgroup "ARENA" is the same on the windows machine.  Is there something in the smb-extra.conf or network.cfg not set correct or missing?

I have reverted back to 6.1.9. The server shows up and I can access all my shares.  If you come up with some ideas to try I will upgrade and try them.

TIA

Edited by rd48sec
23 hours ago, rd48sec said:

I am using NFS shares.  I have a popcorn hour media player that connects using NFS.  That is connecting just fine.  Not sure what the rejected mount requests were about.

If I try connecting by IP/share it does not see the server, it does not connect.  I can open a CMD in windows and ping via IP and hostname.  I have verified my workgroup "ARENA" is the same on the windows machine.  Is there something in the smb-extra.conf or network.cfg not set correct or missing?

I have reverted back to 6.1.9. The server shows up and I can access all my shares.  If you come up with some ideas to try I will upgrade and try them.

TIA

Ok, your original post was indicating that you thought this was something to do with Samba, but NFS is completely unrelated to Samba/SMB.  Nothing in your SMB settings affects your NFS shares.  So is your problem still accessing your shares from a Windows machine over SMB?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jonp said:

Ok, your original post was indicating that you thought this was something to do with Samba, but NFS is completely unrelated to Samba/SMB.  Nothing in your SMB settings affects your NFS shares.  So is your problem still accessing your shares from a Windows machine over SMB?

Yes,  my problem is accessing my shares from a Windows 7 machine over SMB.  

Hmm, I don't think I've seen those issues in any of our test systems, but we will try to recreate.  So typing //IPADDRESS or //HOSTNAME  makes no difference when trying to connect to the server?  The only thing that has been successful is reverting from 6.3.5 to 6.1.9?

33 minutes ago, jonp said:

Hmm, I don't think I've seen those issues in any of our test systems, but we will try to recreate.  So typing //IPADDRESS or //HOSTNAME  makes no difference when trying to connect to the server?  The only thing that has been successful is reverting from 6.3.5 to 6.1.9?

That is correct,  typing  //IPADDRESS or //HOSTNAME makes no difference.  It does not connect to the unRAID server.  If I try //IPADDRESS/sharename,  a credentials box pops up.  I try logging with a user I have setup,  but it keeps popping up the login box.  If I try root and rootpassword,  that makes the login box go away,  but does not connect.

The only way I can get my shares to show up is by reverting to 6.1.9.  I tried 6.2.4 and that did not connect my shares, just like 6.3.5.  What upgrade in Samba happened in 6.2.4 that was not there in 6.1.9?  Is there a setting I do not have correct?

Edited by rd48sec

Ok, we're getting closer.  If you can get credentials to pop up when you type \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME, try using "guest" for the username and password (or try just the username with a blank password).  Still not a full solution, but at least we've ruled it out as a network connectivity and protocol availability issue.

As far as changes, you'd have to check the changelogs between 6.1.9 and 6.3.5 to narrow down the specifics.  Samba was definitely upgraded multiple times between those releases.  Chances are a simple net use * /delete in Windows command line will resolve it though that isn't guaranteed.

3 hours ago, jonp said:

Ok, we're getting closer.  If you can get credentials to pop up when you type \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME, try using "guest" for the username and password (or try just the username with a blank password).  Still not a full solution, but at least we've ruled it out as a network connectivity and protocol availability issue.

Upgraded to 6.3.5.  My windows shares are available until I reboot my windows machine. After rebooting I tried entering guest for username and password.  Credential popup just resets and waits for input.  Also tried guest with no password, username with no password, root with password, and root with no password.  All the same thing.  Login popup just resets and pops up.

I have tried the net use * /delete as well.  That did not work.  

My popcorn hour media player is also shared via samba.  That I can connect to by \\POPCORN

Edited by rd48sec

Please read through this thread on Windows SMB issues and solutions that have worked for other folks. 

Also are you using Windows Explorer and NOT Internet Explorer?  With Windows Explorer uses back-slashes  >>>     \    <<<  and NOT forward-slashes   >>>    /    <<<.

Edited by Frank1940
4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Please read through this thread on Windows SMB issues and solutions that have worked for other folks. 

Also are you using Windows Explorer and NOT Internet Explorer?  With Windows Explorer uses back-slashes  >>>     \    <<<  and NOT forward-slashes   >>>    /    <<<.

Thank you for the link.  Reading through it gets frustrating when most of the links don't work :-(

I am using Windows Explorer and forward slashes.

Windows Explorer (the Windows File Manager) does NOT work with forward slashes  //////.  It expects back-slashes   \\\\\\\  to be able to navigate to a folder/directory! 

Read about the Local Master, the local master plugin, and setting up your unRAID server to be the Local Master.  The Local Master plugin will tell what computer your server thinks is the Local Master.  There is a program that you can run a Windows computer that will tell what that computer thinks is the Local Master.  You can find it here:

https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Sorry about the broken links. We have complained about them but the issue has not been resolved.  (It happen after the change in Forum software.)  I have fixed a lot of the links that I could edit and could located the original post to rebuild the correct link but not everyone who posted in that thread had the time to do it and in some cases, the original posts were not locate-able. 

I got it to work.  I re-did my flash drive and it worked.  I am able to access my shares using 6.3.5.

The root of the problem was my "extra" directory packages.  When I copied my extra directory back to the flash and re-booted the server,  I was not able to access my shares from windows.  The packages I was installing were gcc, g++ and libraries for Slackware 14.1 (I compile new java periodically for my YAMJ scanner).  The current Slackware version is 14.2.  I installed gcc, g++, etc... from the Slackware 14.2 depository.  And everything is working.