Switching From Plugins to Docker - A Bit Confused

I consider myself pretty novice with unRAID, but I've somehow been able to keep my box going without losing any data for 7 years. Lot's of Googling, lots of reading, and a bit of luck. I've been going down a rabbit whole with this docker thing and I'm worried I might be running out of that luck that's kept me out of trouble.

THE BOX

AMD A8-5500

4GB Memory

unRAID 6.1.9

Parity = 5tb

Disk 1-5 = 17tb

Cache = 1tb

Flash OS Drive = 2gb

THE APPS

All my apps are plugins.

The install directories are set to /usr/local/**appname**.  

The Config directories are set to /mnt/cache/.appdata/libraries/**appname**

Couch Potato - Phaze Plugin

Plex - Phaze Plugin

SABnzbd - Phaze Plugin

Sonarr - Phaze Plugin

THE MAIN PROBLEM

I've been having more and more problems with the plugins, so I think it's time to switch everything to docker. How do I switch all my apps over to docker without losing all my settings/data. I would hate to have to go back through plex and mark a bunch of stuff watched. Or re-add everything to Sonarr. How can I copy the settings and other app data from the plugins over to the Docker version of the apps?

OTHER QUESTIONS

1. DOCKER ON 6.1.9 - Do I need to upgrade my version of unraid before attempting to switch over to docker? I have the options to use docker, but maybe there are more settings in the later versions of unraid?

2. DOCKER IMAGE ON CACHE? - I've been reading that most people setup their Docker Image on the Cache drive for performance. I'm assuming using the leading period on the folder to prevent it from being erased each night. What happens if the cache drive goes out? Will you lose all your settings and config of the Apps installed in that docker image?

3. APP DATA ON CACHE? - The guides are also saying that you want to map your volumes to a location outside your docker so you don't fill it up. So assuming you map all the app data/config data to a cache folder with a leading period (same issue as #1) what happens if you lose the cache?

4. /USR/LOCAL/ FOR INSTALL DIRECTORY - Am I dumb for using the flash drive as the install directory for my apps so far?

5. BROWSING THE CACHE DRIVE - Before I started this thread, I was planning on finding the application data that I put on my cache drive and then just copying those files over to the docker installation. But then I realized that I couldn't navigate to the Cache drive by going to network shares on my windows machine. That kinda stopped me in my tracks. How can you browse the cache drive like a normal shared volume?

6. UNRAID SETUP SERVICE - Haha, ok this is gonna be a stretch. Is there anyone I can pay to login to my network remotely by teamsviewer or something and just give my unRAID box a total update and overhaul? Wishful thinking right :)
19 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

DOCKER ON 6.1.9 - Do I need to upgrade my version of unraid before attempting to switch over to docker? I have the options to use docker, but maybe there are more settings in the later versions of unraid?

No, but personally I would upgrade to 6.3.5 anyways.

20 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

DOCKER IMAGE ON CACHE? - I've been reading that most people setup their Docker Image on the Cache drive for performance. I'm assuming using the leading period on the folder to prevent it from being erased each night. What happens if the cache drive goes out? Will you lose all your settings and config of the Apps installed in that docker image?

The leading period tells mover to not bother moving the share to array.  The more common method however is to set the appdata share to be cache only or cache-prefer

If the cache drive drops dead, the docker.img file is a joke to rebuild, and doesn't contain any "real" information or metadata

22 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

APP DATA ON CACHE? - The guides are also saying that you want to map your volumes to a location outside your docker so you don't fill it up. So assuming you map all the app data/config data to a cache folder with a leading period (same issue as #1) what happens if you lose the cache?

With a non-redundant cache drive, what most people do is backup the appdata share to the array (weekly?)  CA Appdata Backup/Restore does this for you on a schedule

22 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

USR/LOCAL/ FOR INSTALL DIRECTORY - Am I dumb for using the flash drive as the install directory for my apps so far?

That particular directory is actually in RAM.  And with plugins, the install pretty much has to be in ram.  Docker, the install is within the docker.img file which tends to be stored on the cache drive.

24 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

BROWSING THE CACHE DRIVE - Before I started this thread, I was planning on finding the application data that I put on my cache drive and then just copying those files over to the docker installation. But then I realized that I couldn't navigate to the Cache drive by going to network shares on my windows machine. That kinda stopped me in my tracks. How can you browse the cache drive like a normal shared volume?

By enabling Disk Shares on unRaid.  But, TBH you're going to have an easier time simply pointing the docker appdata location for each app to the existing share/folder you've already got.  Simply moving stuff around (especially over the network) will be problematic due to permissions, symlinks, etc.  Best bet is to point the default docker appdata location to be /mnt/cache/.appdata/libraries, and then on installation of the new apps, verify the appdata (/config) folder is pointing to the existing folders.

27 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

UNRAID SETUP SERVICE - Haha, ok this is gonna be a stretch. Is there anyone I can pay to login to my network remotely by teamsviewer or something and just give my unRAID box a total update and overhaul? Wishful thinking right :)

Actually LT offers such a service, albeit for a fee.  You can get details on their website.  

----------

Other thoughts. 

If simply pointing the /config folders to the existing ones from the plugins doesn't work, then you're going to be better off starting the apps over from scratch.  Less aggravation and headaches that way.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Squid said:

The more common method however is to set the appdata share to be cache only or cache-prefer

Ah, so you're saying just create a share specifically for appdata and designate it cache only rather than setting it up like I have it with the leading period.

50 minutes ago, Squid said:

With a non-redundant cache drive, what most people do is backup the appdata share to the array (weekly?)  CA Appdata Backup/Restore does this for you on a schedule

Ok cool, backup app or I could just setup 2 cache drives that are mirrored?

52 minutes ago, Squid said:

By enabling Disk Shares on unRaid.  But, TBH you're going to have an easier time simply pointing the docker appdata location for each app to the existing share/folder you've already got.  Simply moving stuff around (especially over the network) will be problematic due to permissions, symlinks, etc.  Best bet is to point the default docker appdata location to be /mnt/cache/.appdata/libraries, and then on installation of the new apps, verify the appdata (/config) folder is pointing to the existing folders.

Got it so the location I've got my appdata setup right now isn't going to kill me in the future. If it doesn't work, then I'll just be spending time setting up plex and everything all over again.

54 minutes ago, Squid said:

Actually LT offers such a service, albeit for a fee.  Y

Well hot damn!

I really appreciate the help @Squid!

I was able to get ALMOST all of this switched over and working great with the help of Jon at unRAID. Thanks for the suggestion @Squid.

The last little issue I've been having now is with Radarr and Sonarr. I can't get them to do "Complete Download Handling" correctly. They only way I've gotten radarr or sonarr to process newly downloaded movies is through the Drone folder (which is apparently not recommended now). They're both giving me the same error. "Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Radarr/Sonarr"

I'm thinking this is the permission issue you were mentioning that I might run into, Squid.

Any idea what I do to fix this, keeping in mind that I'm pretty noobish. :)

2017-07-01_17-41-24.thumb.png.1e0f39bddce44269ad4e7f58b9ca83d3.png

Except that I just noticed that Radarr's config file is set to /mnt/cache/appdata/ and all the other config files are set to /mnt/user/appdata/.  Which is technically the same location since the appdata folder is set to prefer cache. But when I change Radarr's config to /mnt/user/appdata/ all the settings and data disappear. Which I find a little odd.

Except that I just noticed that Radarr's config file is set to /mnt/cache/appdata/ and all the other config files are set to /mnt/user/appdata/.  Which is technically the same location since the appdata folder is set to prefer cache. But when I change Radarr's config to /mnt/user/appdata/ all the settings and data disappear. Which I find a little odd.

Switching between user and cache for appdata that can happen. Unforutunate but not unexpected. Where config is pointed at has no bearing on your issue.

Make sure in sab you have its settings to save into /downloads

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Ok, so I'm narrowing in on things I think. There have been fewer errors in the logs since I updated that. But now I'm getting these two errors frequently. I have a feeling that the first one (which is a TV show) is just an error with the nzb? But the second one seems like the permissions aren't allowing it to create a folder where it needs to? 

What do you think?

2017-07-02_14-57-39.png.ad948b42cdbed9092027cca60e67b5a2.png

15 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

What do you think?

Certainly looks like permissions.  But I also think that people should use nzbGet instead of sabNZBD.  And the error implies that it's trying to create the folder Autoprocess within the docker.img file which is definitely not what you want which leads me to this:

18 hours ago, cypres0099 said:

Just now deleted the /downloads/ from both of them.

What do you mean by this?  This is how you want it.

This image is how I have it setup now. It says that all folders are relative to "/downloads" so the way I had it before would have made it "/downloads/downloads/Autoprocess Movies/moviefolder"

I'm open to switching to NZBget if you think it would be easier for me to get right.

2017-07-02_15-38-07.thumb.png.078e196f96b26fd26861fc7286a27542.png

Edited by cypres0099

Woohooo! I finally got the Complete Download Handling to work for both Radarr and Sonarr. It seems to be a problem with the folder/path like I mentioned above, but I needed to delete the leading / for it to actually be the correct path (see image for final settings that worked).

@Squid I will buy you a physical or digital beer, just say the word.

Just a couple last things I'm trying to figure out.

1. When it processed the TV show and Movie to the correct archives where I keep my TV and Movies, it seemed to copy it over rather than just point it to the new folder (not sure I'm using the right terminology). It took like 5 min to unpack, which usually is the longest process. But this time both the movie and TV show took another 10 min to put into the right folder. I navigated to the folders to see what it was doing and it was transferring a file into the folder. It was labeled PAR and kept getting bigger and bigger until it was compete and then there was the movie/tv show. Is there anyway to speed up this process?

2. Radarr's "DownloadedMovieImpertService" seems to be searching for ALL my movies (even ones that I've already downloaded and are in my main library). See the second image for the errors that it's throwing every time it scans.

2017-07-02_18-49-56.thumb.png.2a235ec4bfc7e867c0da2c30e608f583.png

2017-07-02_18-49-49.thumb.png.e9592b7ae628e32641a9edf4230e6cfe.png

Log errors I would guess are a remnant from the original bad setup.  I would clear the logs, delete the movie (but not the media) from radarr and then re-add it as an existing movie if you want.  (Or switch them to not be monitored anymore)

Edited by Squid