Help me solve a mystery...

On 7/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, FreeMan said:

Since nobody's mentioned it, is it possible that Deluge is scheduled to refresh its RSS feeds at the top of the hour and your (presumably) new ISP is rate limiting when it sees RSS feeds checking known torrent tracker IPs? Consider looking at your Deluge schedule to see if it's scheduled to check RSS at the top of the hour.

I did see you mention something about installing Transmission and not having issues, but you didn't mention if you had it fully configured with all your RSS feeds, download filters, etc.

Are you still getting expected torrent download speeds consistent with your nice sized pipe? Try kicking off a download at half-past the hour and see if your bandwidth plummets again.

/random thoughts at the end of the work day

I think you may be on to something here...

I was up early this morning and decided to revisit this issue.  I fired up Deluge and @ 5:02am, my download speed dumped to ~7Mbit.  I was watching the traffic graphs in pfsense but couldn't see any obvious signs of abnormalities.  I tinkered for about 5 mins and then shut down Deluge but the issue persisted.  I then decided to take a look at the Sonarr logs and noticed that the RSS Sync started/finished @ 5:02am.  I closed Sonarr and my speed immediately shot back up to ~115Mbit.

So, this may be a combo Deluge/Sonarr issue.  If Deluge is not running when Sonarr initiates an RSS sync, the issue is not there.  Since I don't use RSS, I'll poke around Sonarr and see if I can disable that functionality.  Apparently disabling RSS Sync is bad.  I thought it just had to do with RSS feeds but it controls the automatic episode searching Sonarr.

John

Edited by johnodon

Is your Deluge and Sonarr traffic going through the VPN?  I was going to suggest earlier in the thread about possible update script within the docker running hourly via cron and for some reason it had issues, but if Sonarr is exhibiting the same issue with RSS might want to verify the traffic is going through VPN or the open.  I doubt the ISP would be limiting RSS specifically vs. the domain the updates are coming from.  Do you have traffic shaping enabled on the pfSense box?  There are several packages in pfSense for viewing and logging traffic on per IP basis.  Ntopng, if I spelled that correct, is one with a real-time view.

On 7/27/2017 at 1:48 PM, unevent said:

Is your Deluge and Sonarr traffic going through the VPN?  I was going to suggest earlier in the thread about possible update script within the docker running hourly via cron and for some reason it had issues, but if Sonarr is exhibiting the same issue with RSS might want to verify the traffic is going through VPN or the open.  I doubt the ISP would be limiting RSS specifically vs. the domain the updates are coming from.  Do you have traffic shaping enabled on the pfSense box?  There are several packages in pfSense for viewing and logging traffic on per IP basis.  Ntopng, if I spelled that correct, is one with a real-time view.

Ony Deluge and SAB are sent through the VPN tunnel.

No traffic shaping rules are in place.

I'll have a look at the traffic inspection tools and report back.

Thanks!

On 19.7.2017 at 11:04 PM, johnodon said:

This is what I am using (with latest stable pfsense):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJEJG1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How is this possible? The J1900 doesnt have AES-NI but pfsense "requires" a CPU with AES-NI.

See my IPFire-Link: http://fireinfo.ipfire.org/profile/ad4c95861647a6718f5e3212a91cb0dea75c84e2

Can you explain how this is working?

Read also this thread: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=129842.0

Edited by Zonediver
6 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

How is this possible? The J1900 doesnt have AES-NI and pfsense "requires" AES-NI.

Can you explain how this is working?

Use IPFire instead of pfsense.

They actually removed pfsense from the supported list since the time I bought it.  It supported v2.3 though.

That being said, I am at current pfsense stable (2.3.4-RELEASE-p1 ) and it seems to be working as expected.

John

Edited by johnodon