Installed new drive but it's not utilised

ruvil

Hi

So, i originally started out with 3x8TB in my array(1 parity) so that i could migrate everything over from my old NAS. When i added the drives from the NAS and formatted, cleared et cetera the server doesn't seem to store new stuff on them.

I have the shares set to "high-water" but only the original drives in the array are used.

As it looks right now:

Drive1 : Used: 6.1TB Free: 1.99TB

Drive 2: Used: 5.53 TB Free: 2.47TB

Drive 3 and onwards(all added afterwards, 4TB): Used: 17 MB Free: 4TB.

If i have understood the "high-water" option correct it should distribute all files evenly to keep the free/used space at a similar ratio? Have i missed something else?

Ok, this might be stupid question, but I must ask anyhow:

I am currently expanding my NAS, I have KEY for basic operations and I need to upgrade that as well as I now have 1 parity+3 HDD in use, I ordered 6 more, same size all. I am just so new to this stuff but, all HDD work fine, and basic things I know about my NAS,

but how will I upgrade my key for 15 HDD ?, when I have icybox 5 bays in one, do I need to have parity in every "box" so its 1+4 HDD x 3 as I have ordered one more icybox so that total drives=15

ANd final question is; does the program automatically identyfy those new drives or do I need to do something to identify those drives...as I have not been able to find subject how to increase drives to NAS.

52 minutes ago, Cren0 said:

Ok, this might be stupid question, but I must ask anyhow:

Not meaning to pick on a newbie, but did you just randomly pick a thread to ask your questions in? You should start your own thread instead of taking over a  support thread which was totally about something else and started by someone else for their questions. If you notice, the subject line has nothing to do with your questions.

Archived