SUPPORTED HARDWARE???

bombz

Hello, I am a proud supporter of UnRAID and it has been working fantastic !!

Right now my unraid system is a Core2Duo with a Intel microATX board 1GB ram, which is working for me.  (a little over kill)

I have had to install:

(1x) promise sata PCI card

(1x) Gigabit ethernet.

Since the motherboard is MicroATX, my PCI Bus is full and i want to expand to add more drives (which is currently 8 drives). Unraid supports 16 (pro version which i own). I have been trying to make use of a older hardware i have laying around here.

I tried my Intel D845WN FullATX board (P4 era) which would have been perfect, except that it LEXAR Unraid will not boot. Just sits at command prompt with a "j". and yes the BIOS is current (just flashed it 20min ago) The Lexar is working fine in my current unraid system, so i am wondering what is currently supported. Or what desktop board I can use that is cheap ! and works with the software.

or Anyone please suggest help or recommendations or models of boards the current community owns/uses, PLEASE let me know! im willing to track down the hardware to buy

Thank you!

Huh?  There were two responses to this thread earlier today (one of them was mine), I don't know what happened them.

Anyway, here it is again:

Recommended Builds

The US version of the Budget Box is basically a cross between my server and LimeTech's RB-1200.  The Biostar A760G is a great board for unRAID, it has all the features we want and a low price.  You could max it out at 16 drives with some add-on cards (6 onboard, 8 on the PCIe x16, and 2 on the PCIe x1).

Huh?  There were two responses to this thread earlier today (one of them was mine), I don't know what happened them.

Anyway, here it is again:

Recommended Builds

The US version of the Budget Box is basically a cross between my server and LimeTech's RB-1200.  The Biostar A760G is a great board for unRAID, it has all the features we want and a low price.  You could max it out at 16 drives with some add-on cards (6 onboard, 8 on the PCIe x16, and 2 on the PCIe x1).

I appreciate that, and i have seen that post --- but once again thats a Micro ATX board, i need Full ATX (ie more then 2 PCI slots, need 5) apprecaite the responses, keepem comming !

Trust me, you really don't want 5 PCI slots.  Running a bunch of drives all on the PCI bus will make your parity check speeds very slow, not to mention that it will be expensive as well.

Instead consider the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8.  This PCIe card supports up to 8 drives by itself, and it will be much faster than any PCI card.  Note that you will need special SAS cables for this card (again, check the recommended builds section for links).

If you choose a motherboard with two PCIe x4 or faster slots (and make sure that both can run this card), you can have support for 16 drives right there, in addition to your motherboard's onboard slots.  I'm currently planning a 20 drive build based on two of those cards and this motherboard.  Normally I wouldn't buy a motherboard that expensive, but it came as a free gift with my Norco 4220.

Archived