I would like to buy a new 9400-16i

michael123

@michael123 how that's a GREAT question. I've tried both unRaid and FreeNAS, but wow it's not a easy and quick way to answer.

48 minutes ago, michael123 said:

but then why do you need unRaid? unRaid is about simplicity, easy of recovery, ability to mix different disks..

All those things you mention is why I love unRaid. I've used it for many years so I'm very comfortable in knowing how it works, how to perform many advanced tasks both in the GUI and the command line and where it's limits are defined. I think it's in this simplicity that it's so adaptable.  Hrmm, see I just typed all that and really said nothing to answer your question. I knew this would be tough question. xD

unRAID is fantastic, it works exactly as where the expectations have been set. I don't like when others call certain functions of it 'slow' because really it's 'working as designed', slow/fast is subjective opinion. Does it meet the design and communicated features, yes unRAID does. However there are ways, unsupported of course, to improve functions:

• Parity checks, or writing to a parity protected array. How to make it go faster? There are ways.
  • How to write to multiple UserShares in parallel and achieve full disk I/O on a 10GB network? There are ways.
  • Creating a single parity disk in RAID10 that will statistically will never fail? There are ways.
  •  

I've been tinkering a lot of my Areca RAID adapters when it comes to Parity, Cache and Unassigned Devices drives. For my data drives I use the normal LSI 23XX HBA cards. RAID just enhances those select areas, which I think enhance the essence of what unRAID is. It's not supported, not for everyone, but if you got the time and money, which looks like you do, then spice it up. :D

Edited by Lev
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/4/2017 at 4:31 PM, michael123 said:

So I pulled the trigger on Adaptec 1000-16i above, bought it yesterday from newegg. I saw here on the forum that it is supported in unraid 6.3 and later.

Yes! Adaptec 1000-16i works like a charm in 6.3.5

No firmware upgraded needed

No firmware reflash needed

Just connect the drives and stick it into your PCI slot 

2 hours ago, michael123 said:

Yes! Adaptec 1000-16i works like a charm in 6.3.5

No firmware upgraded needed

No firmware reflash needed

Just connect the drives and stick it into your PCI slot 

Nice! thanks for reporting back! It'll help others in the future who are curious about if anyone has tried the card.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 2:35 AM, johnnie.black said:

It should work fine, it uses the mpt3sas driver.

9400-16i work fine in unraid.

I just installed 2 of them in my server.  They reduced my parity check time by abut 25 percent over my old 8 port card and the motherboard ports i was using.  Used the firmware right out of the box without updating anything and they work fine.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, merlyn said:

9400-16i work fine in unraid.

I just installed 2 of them in my server.  They reduced my parity check time by abut 25 percent over my old 8 port card and the motherboard ports i was using.  Used the firmware right out of the box without updating anything and they work fine.

I am looked my forward to installing mine tomorrow.