Apple Time Machine issue - The Backup is already in use error

rorton

Been having a long time issue with Time Machine on unraid :(

Im backing up a single Mac to my time machine share, and 9 times out of 10, it fails with the error:

5a087080bbf03_TImeMachineError.jpeg.3d9b419f5d0b43ffa2bbaafa9b82cbc7.jpeg

Occasionally, time machine will back up OK, but 9 times out of 10, i have too reboot the server. 

I understand from other posts that by looking in the open files, there are some afpd entries (as im looking at the moment, there are 2 of them in open files, each with a different PID)

afpd PID 4400

/mnt/user/timemachine (working directory)
/mnt/user/timemachine/Richard\xe2\x80\x99s iMac.sparsebundle/token

afpd PID 10321

/mnt/user/timemachine (working directory)
/mnt/user/timemachine/Richard\xe2\x80\x99s iMac.sparsebundle/token

Ive just killed PID 4400, and started to run a backup, and it doesn't backup at all. Ive killed the second PID 10321, and tried a backup again and it doesn't backup,

Lastly tried switching afp off (shows 3 connected users) and when back on again - it cleared out the connected users, then tried to backup again and it works! (just as it does if i reboot)

This is the only afp share on my unraid system, and here are my settings below - any ideas as its a real pain in the rear5a087212d4edb_UnRaidTimeMachineConfigPage.thumb.jpeg.6dbf5b538fe667ef57977abc5db479c6.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Have you looked at moving over to SMB Time Machine backups?  I keep looking for some good documentation to move over to SMB from AFP but cannot find anything good so far.  With the new support in 6.5 as well as high sierra, figured it was worth a shot. 

Yes, my other shares are all SMB, but I guess the Time Capsule (TimeMachine) smb feature is new, I just have not seen a good set of setup instructions on how to setup SMB Time Capsule simulation so that it automatically backs up on a regular basis.   They are all AFP instructions, or if there is any sort of official support for an Unraid Config to simulate a Time Capsule over SMB somehow.   If so I would be glad to disable AFP and go SMB only on everything, I only had AFP for the Time Machine Backups. 

Archived