We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Connection Refused, No GUI

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with my server.  I've had it working prior to this but moved the server to a different location in the home.  I think my network settings on the server have gotten messed up, probably due to me as I was messing with some pass through settings before I moved it - only stopped working when I moved it though.  In any case here is what I've got.

I can ping and ssh into server.

I'm unable to use chrome to access the server as it says the connection was refused.

Booting with a monitor on the server and going into the gui shows an unable to connect screen

I ran a diagnostics file but it says the zip file is in /boot/logs/tower-etc.zip but I'm not seeing that on the thumb drive to post here.  Not real sure where that ended up going?

3 hours ago, Jharris1984 said:

I ran a diagnostics file but it says the zip file is in /boot/logs/tower-etc.zip but I'm not seeing that on the thumb drive to post here.  Not real sure where that ended up going?

This suggests that the flash drive has not been mounted as /boot (so the diagnostics file was only saved to RAM).   The USB stick not mounting would also explain why you have no GUI. You could check this using the ‘df’ command to see if the /boot mount point is present and pointing to the USB stick.

You should check that the USB stick is labelled as ‘UNRAID’.   Assuming that is not the problem then it is worth trying the USB stick in another port (preferably a USB 2 one as USB 3 ones often seem to cause problems).

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Boot with the GUI option and check network settings, if still unable to make it work grab the diagnostics from there.

I'm unable to get to the GUI local host from the machine or through chrome.  Says unable to connect on the actual machine when I'm connected directly to it and connection refused when on another computer going to the ip address.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

This suggests that the flash drive has not been mounted as /boot (so the diagnostics file was only saved to RAM).   The USB stick not mounting would also explain why you have no GUI. You could check this using the ‘df’ command to see if the /boot mount point is present and pointing to the USB stick.

You should check that the USB stick is labelled as ‘UNRAID’.   Assuming that is not the problem then it is worth trying the USB stick in another port (preferably a USB 2 one as USB 3 ones often seem to cause problems).

I've attached the df command below.  I'm seeing directories but not sure if they're on the thumb drive?

Also I tried multiple USB ports all result in the same gui not showing and connection refused.  Drive labeled as UNRAID and have been using this drive successfully for over a year now.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jharris1984

The ‘df’ command shows that the USB stick has not been mounted.    There should be an entry for /boot (typically with device /dev/sda1).   Quite why this is happening I am not sure as you seem to have checked for the obvious culprits.

you could try manually mounting the USB stick as /boot and then re-running the diagnostics to get the zip file that may give those perusing this thread some idea of what is going wrong.

• 2 years later...

I still get issues about this all the time, nothing seems to solve it for me. The only thing that works rn is just turning it off and turning it back on hoping it wont do it again. (usually find this happens when the system shutsoff incorrectly but the parity check and all that checks out)