We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Crashplan Pro vs Backblaze

tucansam

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I need an unlimited online backup solution.  I want to put the entirety of my unraid server on an encrypted backup service.  I have unlimited bandwidth available to me via my ISP.  I also want to do something similar to snapshots, or versions of files, or something along those lines.  That's not a 100% set in stone requirement, but it would be nice.

I see a Crashplan Pro plugin for unraid.  The Backblaze plugin is beta and command line only, near as I can tell (I haven't delved too far into the thread yet).

Any suggestions?  Crashplan Pro vs Backblaze?

Thanks.

Unfortunately it sounds like your only option is Crashplan Pro. Unless I missed a big announcement Backblaze does not offer a linux version of its backup software. There is no way to use BackBlaze's unlimited backup on unRAID or any other Linux server or NAS that I am aware of. There are various methods to allow you to backup to the BackBlaze B2 cloud in unRAID, but that is follows the cloud storage pricing model.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm leaning toward the Backblaze B2 solution while using the CloudBerry Docker in unRaid. Been playing with it with a smaller data set for a few days now and like it so far. Backblaze B2 is not unlimited, but it's really cheap so unless you're backing up 2 TB of data or more, it might be worth looking into. For myself, I backup about 1 TB so Backblaze B2 would be about $5/month for me. There is a $0.02/gb download fee, but I normally don't download much. Below is a breakdown of their pricing, including a calculator. What I may end up doing is just migrating over to Crashplan Pro initially since they're offering it for only $2.50/month for 12 months for existing Crashplan Home customers, and that will buy some more time to evaluate.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, primeval_god said:

Unfortunately it sounds like your only option is Crashplan Pro. Unless I missed a big announcement Backblaze does not offer a linux version of its backup software. There is no way to use BackBlaze's unlimited backup on unRAID or any other Linux server or NAS that I am aware of. There are various methods to allow you to backup to the BackBlaze B2 cloud in unRAID, but that is follows the cloud storage pricing model.

I haven't tested Backblaze in a long time but why not? Does the application only back up local disks? I was going to try installing it on my Windows VM and backup the UnRaid network share but I won't bother if you can confirm it won't work.

1 hour ago, primeval_god said:

I havent tried Backblaze myself so I cant confirm that it wont work. I remember reading that you cant use it to backup network drivers, but you should go read up on that yourself since my memory is not the most reliable source.

Yeah, I'll probably just have to test it for myself. Even if they say you can't backup network drives, there is likely a way around that, like a symbolic link or something.

Yeah, I'll probably just have to test it for myself. Even if they say you can't backup network drives, there is likely a way around that, like a symbolic link or something.

I tried a couple different things but it wouldn't work. Only thing that I think would work but don't even know if it exists would be some sort of Sata emulator that looked like a disk to the system but pointed to a network share.

Archived