Rights issues [Solved]

NY152

Login using either the console or PuTTY and enter the following command:

ls -al /mnt/user

Then start down the tree in the share to the spot where you did the tree move.   (ex.   ls -al /mnt/user/Media   )

When you get to the spot where you moved the tree to have a good look at the permissions and verify that you don't have TWO directories at that level with the same name but differing in spelling.  (i.e,   Media  and media   ----SMB assumes that in this example that there is only one directory and it is a turkey shoot as to which one gets displayed on a SMB client!)   If you don't find something obvious, post back up what you are finding.  

everything seems ok.

total 8                                                                                                                      
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users  140 Dec  5 11:38 ./
drwxr-xr-x  10 root   root   200 Dec 13 13:15 ../
drwxrwxrwx+  1 nobody users 4096 Dec 12 21:11 Work/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users  210 Dec 12 21:11 Data/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users   49 Dec 12 21:12 Contrats/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users    6 Dec 12 18:17 Misc/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users   54 Dec 12 17:18 Vidéos/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users  253 Nov 15 00:28 appdata/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users  181 Nov 29 22:51 domains/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users 4096 Oct 17 15:31 isos/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users   35 Dec 29  2016 system/
drwxrwxrwx   1 nobody users   95 Nov 29 22:53 web/

The problem of access blocks on Data/Cassandra not on Data itself, the rest of the sharing works very well in read/write.

As explained above, I have already used Tools> New permission so this should work.

ls -al /mnt/user/Data

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   4096 Aug 11 05:05 Cassandra/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   4096 Aug 11 05:05 Greg/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   4096 Aug 11 05:05 Eva/

ls -al /mnt/user/Data/Cassandra

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users         6 Nov  3  2016 ALL_FOLDERS/
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users       282 Nov  6  2016 ALL_FILES

Cassandra's folder have differents rights ...

If  ALL_FILES  is suppose to be a directory, it is NOT!   If it were, it would have the permissions of     drwxrwxrwx  where the   d   indicates that it is a directory and not a file and the first   x    means that it is browse-able (i.e., you can see the files in the directory).  

I did a quick google and, apparently, there does not exist a way to convert a file into a directory with the file systems that are currently used today.  (Many long years ago, directories in UNIX were simply a special type of file and conversion from one to  the other was theoretically possible.) 

Edited by Frank1940

I assume that the names "ALL_DIRECTORIES" and "ALL_FILES" are just a way to anonymize the content of the directory, while showing that all the contents under the Cassandra directory have full rwx flags for owner, group and world.

The note here is that the directory Cassandra/ does not have group or world write rights, while the other users have full 777 rights for their home directory. A manual chmod 777 <full-path>/Cassandra should fix that.

yes I liked ALL_FOLDERS to say that all the files had these rights and the like for ALL_FILES (all the files) ...

basically I'm write:

chmod 777 /mnt/user/Data/Cassandra

No need write:

chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/Data/Cassandra

?

Edited by NY152