hardware upgrade worth while?

hello guys,  I've had my unraid box running for quite some time and I ended up buying the budget build hardware way back when v4 was current.  It's the AMD semperon and biostar Mobo in the old outdated recommended hardware wiki.  I also have 2G of ram.

Fast forward to present day, I've got my box out of the closet and I'm going to be doing some drive upgrades and I'm wondering now that since I've upgraded to v6, is this hardware adequate?  I'm pretty much just using it as a NAS but I was maxing out the CPU doing a couple of preclears.

I have my old gaming machine that can be canibalized for parts.  Asus P8p67 pro board, I5-2500k cpu, 8G of ram.  The board doesn't have on board video, so I might have an old junk video card I can put in there to set it up and get it to boot.

Would it be worth the effort?  any noticable performance gains on just using it as a NAS or should I just leave well enough alone until I have the need for more features?  I don't have much interest in virtual machines or anything, but I'm sure there are some cool plugins.  I have no problem buying the proper hardware if there's a reason for it, but I have this stuff collecting dust.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

3 minutes ago, VFRLuke said:

It's the AMD semperon and biostar Mobo...  2G of ram....  I've upgraded to v6, is this hardware adequate?

Hi - Unfortunately, the answer is "barely..."  You can run basic NAS functions, but your parity check times are really going to suffer with a single core CPU.  And you should forget about the modern plugins and Dockers (Dockers are preferred) with that system.  The upgrade to the i5-2500k would be well worthwhile.

Hi

Looks like we have the exact same config: Sempron LE-1100 and Biostar mobo, with 2GB Ram......something I purchased with V4 as well, 8 years ago maybe

I did a parity check a few weeks ago, and it took forever (more than 2 days for just a 2TB parity drive !)

I missed a good deal at Microcenter on a FX-8320E + Asus mobo with 6 SATA, for $50 ...............Too bad, I will have to look for another deal

In the mean time, I will make some tests with a X2-250 + 4GB ram that I have sitting doing nothing...won't be night and day though, but should be a little bit faster 

A dual core CPU with 1674 Passmarks and 4GB of RAM should run basic unRAID NAS capabilities fine.  Dual core is a big step up.  Quadrupling Passmarks is huge.  And going from 2GB to 4GB is a very big step up.  I wouldn't spend a dime on that system - it's old and slow and not worth an investment.  But if you have it lying around, it will definitely run unRAID better than the 2GB Sempron.

Just realized yesterday that my Intel system (Core 2 Duo e6750) doesn't have integrated video. It is running with an old card (GT440 I think), that is using the PCI-e 16x slot, plus covers 2 other PCI-e 1x slots..........So I would have to find a dirt cheap old PCI video card, hoping there is no compatibility issue with unraid. It will free up the 4 PCI-e slots

On the other hand, if I want to use my other systen (AMD X2 250), it just has 1 PCI-e 16x slot....so just enough to install the 2 SATA port adapter installed on my current server. But I will be then limited to 6 drives total, unless I purchase a SATA card with 4 or more ports

Grrrrrr...........................!!!!!

My board for the Core 2 duo e6750 is a LGA775 socket....So I doubt I can install this type of cpu. There is no VGA, DVI or HDMI on the back of the card

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P35-DS3L-rev-20#ov

Is there a risk (compatibility wise) if I try to find and install a cheap (less than $10) PCI VGA card? 

I did install another set of 2 modules, and now this PC is running with 8GB (4 x 2GB)