Fresh Start

Hey All,

I've been running unRaid for... well for quite a long time v4x up until the current version.  I'm getting ready to modify the hardware I'm running in it and want to take the time to make a fresh start.  The only things I currently want to keep are my Containers.

Any process to this, or simply wipe the USB (saving the license key) and start over?

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz

IF you are running version 6, you don't have to do anything expect to replace the hardware.  (If you aren't running ver6, I would probably do the software upgrade first.)  The server will probably start backup with a hiccup and everything working. 

Personally, If I were doing this again, I would first do a parity check and make sure I had zero errors on the array.  Then shutdown  the server , pull the flash drive and make a backup copy of it.  Make the hardware changes.  Now, stop and take a deep breath.  Then double check that all of the SATA connectors (both data and power) are securely connected.  Connect a monitor and keyboard to the server and start it up while it is still on the  workbench and make sure it works!  (Don't laugh too loudly!  I had a Doctor friend many years who installed a RS-232 card in a computer--- back when you set the interrupts manually-- and then reinstall EVERY screw the side covers before testing!  Needless, to say, he had an interrupt conflict and had to take the whole thing apart again, even had to remove the card to reset the jumper.) 

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Connect a monitor and keyboard to the server and start it up while it is still on the  workbench and make sure it works!  (Don't laugh too loudly!  I had a Doctor friend many years who installed a RS-232 card in a computer--- back when you set the interrupts manually-- and then reinstall EVERY screw the side covers before testing!  Needless, to say, he had an interrupt conflict and had to take the whole thing apart again, even had to remove the card to reset the jumper.) 

Yep, leaving it open spread all over guarantees it will work the first time, fully assembling it and placing it back in a hard to reach spot guarantees it won't, and you have to pull it back out. I've seen it happen first hand too many times, so I gave up and just test fire everything wide open to ensure success. 9_9

Yes, I'm not concerned from the hardware point of view.  I'm more looking for a fresh start from the OS PoV... I'd made changes way back when I did the initial install... including deleting the default folders that were created and now I want to bring the install more inline with a stock install.

Thanks!

First, stop the array and make a copy of the flash drive.  (This will allow to restore to your previous configuration and the server will restart without thinking it has dirty shutdown!) 

Now install the new version on the flash drive.   Obviously, you to copy your registration file to the config folder.  Now for the rest of the files that you might want, I would suggest that you start by studying this detailed list of the purpose of each file and folder in the config directory.  You can then decide which ones you want.  If some setting is missing, you could go look in the file or folder that might have and copy it in and reboot.  

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/Files_on_v6_boot_drive

Edited by Frank1940
56 minutes ago, Spritzup said:

That's the problem.  I had deleted the folders because I didn't need them.  I have been running my containers and VM's off of dedicated SSD's outside of the array.  As I intend to move away from that model, I want to go back more to the default.

Thanks.

If you set up your flash drive with a totally new install and only migrate your key file and super.dat, it should create the default folders when you enable the services.