Is this possible in Windows?

Mat1926

I can mount my unRaid server and assign a letter to it. I prefer to have a permanent mapped network drive in read-only mode -easy to do-, the issue is that I want to have a permanent second mapped network drive to the same server but will prompt me for credentials every time I access it...Is this possible? My OS is Windows 10 Pro...

Not using normal methods. Windows will only allow one set of credentials per server.

However... If you access the server using the IP instead of the name, windows will see it as a different server, and should allow you to have a second connection. You can map the drive, and as long as you don't tell windows to save the credentials, it will prompt on reboot that not all network connections were reconnected. It will then show as a red X in explorer until you click on it, and it asks for credentials.

34 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Not using normal methods. Windows will only allow one set of credentials per server.

However... If you access the server using the IP instead of the name, windows will see it as a different server, and should allow you to have a second connection. You can map the drive, and as long as you don't tell windows to save the credentials, it will prompt on reboot that not all network connections were reconnected. It will then show as a red X in explorer until you click on it, and it asks for credentials.

The problem it prompts for credentials once, then it will keep them until next reboot, then prompts again if needed. What I want to achieve is that it prompts me once, then it discards the credentials w/o rebooting...so even I did not reboot, if I tried to use the mapped drive again it will prompt me again for credentials...

Thnx

39 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

The problem it prompts for credentials once, then it will keep them until next reboot, then prompts again if needed. What I want to achieve is that it prompts me once, then it discards the credentials w/o rebooting...so even I did not reboot, if I tried to use the mapped drive again it will prompt me again for credentials...

I think this is a SMB problem (probably has always been that way).  I have never see any reference to SMB having the ability to logout of a share.  You could probably use the command line stop the SMB process on your PC and then restart it.  I would think that would do it...  (If you want to try this, Google would be your friend.)    

Archived